Why using Jehovah for God's name is as good as using Yahweh

by oppostate 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

This is what I have been waiting for

I too agree that we may never know the exact pronunciation with definite surety,

lol, see that wasn't so bad.

This troll is heading back to his bridge now.

Can I play another goofy video yet?

• oppostate
    oppostate
    Can I play another goofy video yet?

Be my guest but do so on another thread, will you?

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

*sigh* as you wish

Come on Opp you love me

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I think I see your points.

Jehovah the name has earned the right to exist in modern times, just as Yahweh has.

We don't know what Martini knew in his day, so it's unfair to bash him, or claim that he was the inventor of Jehovah.

We both agree that the JW religion is a borderline, if not full fledged, cult. We both agree that they overemphasize the usage of Jehovah to fit their agenda? If so, then I have no problem with anything that you wrote. Sounds good to me. I'll stop bashing Martini and try to use the name Jehovah with more respect around JWs.

• oppostate
    oppostate

@Bonsai

I appreciate your words. I do feel that the WT is a full fledged cult by now, it is becoming obvious with every monthly broadcast at JW(dot)org in my opinion.

Evangelicals use the term Jehovah as well, and so do Mormons. Yeah, quite fundamentalist minded folks, I know.

But... Martin the monk (Ramdón Martí alias Raymundus Martini) did do a lot of research and he was known to be quite an expert in Biblical matters and Hebrew commentaries on the Scriptures: Torah, Talmud, Midrash.

Whether we agree or not with his views I would think we owe the Spanish (Catalonian) Dominican monk the respect worthy of a scholarly researcher who sought to refute what he thought as error with words rather than how his fellow religionists dealt with those of a different religious persuasion.

He spoke out against the "tiqqun soferim" or "corrections of scribes" which can be better termed corruptions of the text as Martin saw them. He was definitely a defender of the Hebrew text as and sought to clear out amendations, deletions and replacements by scribes from the Scriptures. I think we would do well to appreciate his dedication to that work for cultural and historical reasons even if we don't agree with his theology.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I've reference martini in this forum before, and I assure you I did not mean to be derogatory to him in any way, except to emphasize he was a catholic monk, and the witnesses of course like to bash Catholics, so that is probably the explanation for why they have never acknowledged his contributions to the name they worship. They like to pretend like the pronunciation/spelling of the name came out of thin air rather than give credit to a monk.

• Listener
    Listener

They have acknowledged Martini's contribution in one Watchtower article.

The Watchtower 1950 12/1 has a letter that they wrote to the Catholic Church

" We do not say that “Jehovah” is the correct pronunciation of God’s name...But according to the Aramaic language which Christ and his apostles spoke, his name was pronounced “Yeshu′a” (the a representing a gutteral ending). .... . However, if you call it shallow scholarship for the Committee to use the word Jehovah in the New World Translation, then you will have to admit that it is due to the shallow scholarship of the Roman Catholic clergy of the thirteenth century, for in that century the word historically appears among them...But in its 2nd last paragraph the Translation Committee says: “While inclining to view the pronunciation ‘Yah·weh′’ as the more correct way, we have retained the form ‘Jehovah’ because of people’s familiarity with it since the 14th century"

Don't you just love the WTBTS? They are telling the Catholic Church that if they think they are bad scholars then this would make them the bad scholars.

• rebel8
  • oppostate
    oppostate

Thanks for your contributions to the discussion FayeD and Listener.

The WT wants to have it both ways it always wants the credit, and it always seeks to put the blame on someone else. Their writing department have become the masters of deception and they've had plenty of practice at it.

However, if you call it shallow scholarship for the Committee to use the word Jehovah in the New World Translation, then you will have to admit that it is due to the shallow scholarship of the Roman Catholic clergy of the thirteenth century
    (
    The Watchtower 1950 12/1)

Just the way that letter appearing in the 1950 WT reads, it smacks of shoddy scholarship and lack of integrity in their publishing. Don't blame us, they seem to say, blame the ones we stole the ideas from. What a bunch of prideful incompetents!

After awakening to the WT's wiles and trickery just reading anything they print makes me nauseous. I do not trust anything they publish at all.

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

Wow, that 1950 quote!!! Gotta love 'em. ....or leave 'em.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit