Why using Jehovah for God's name is as good as using Yahweh

by oppostate 91 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

Thus Josephus says the Divine Name is pronounced as written, in Latin it has four vowels I, O, U, E, that is Jove which transliterated YHWH and pronounced in Hebrew "Yeh-hoo-ahh"

Can you name this source please?

At the end of the day, neither Jehovah or Yahweh is accurate but Yahweh is 'better' as it isn't a hybrid word.

On a side note, given you've ended up suggesting that the correct pronunciation is "Yeh-hoo-ahh" wouldn't a more accurate title to this thread be "Why Jehovah or Yahweh are both wrong"?

• oppostate
    oppostate
    wizzstick:
    The table below shows the vowel points of Yehovah and Adonay,

You keep dwelling on the Masoretic tradition, and I repeat myself that this was a late development in the text. Josephus predates that by almost a millennium.

Besides how do you explain that in many texts the tetragrammaton only has a schewa and a qamats? The holam vowel does not appear in thousands of instances among the four consonants. This is thought to correspond to a redaction on the usage of ADONAY's vowels and pointed to a more accurately Hebrew term, which although pronounceable was substituted by SHEMA (meaning "the Name").

The pointing of this redaction lacks the holam, thus rendering it as YEH-HOO-AHH.

In Latin, Martin the monk, used IEHOVAH because the Latin I sounded like our English Y, later the initial I became a J since the consonantal I came to be written as J.

He also wrote V because in Latin V was both a vowel sound like OO and a consonant sound like W, it wasn't pronounced as V in English back then in Latin. In later pronunciation changes the consonantal V (W sound) became what we pronounce as V in English, this change has happened in many languages like in German and Dutch where the W is a V sound, and even in modern Hebrew the letter Waw has come to be Vav.

Today's Jehovah comes from IEHOVA(H) in Latin from Hebrew YHWH (JHVH). The research supports that using Jehovah is as good as using Yahweh. They are merely English translations for the Divine Name which could be more credibly pronounced in Ancient Hebrew as YEH-HOO-AHH.

• oppostate
    oppostate
    Can you name this source please?

Sure, see Josephus (The Jewish War. V:235).

Jehovah and Yahweh are not "both wrong" they are English translations of the same original name in Hebrew YHWH (JHVH), which was written only in consonants, but given clues like Judah=YHWDH (Yeh-hoo-dahh) and using "mater lectionis," as is written, one would pronounce YHWH as Yeh-hoo-ahh.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Exactly like I said.

• wizzstick
    wizzstick

A mitre also of fine linen encompassed his head, which was tied by a blue ribbon, about which there was another golden crown, in which was engraven the sacred name [of God]: it consists of four vowels.

Josephus

So I can see the 4 vowels, but I can't find anyone suggesting it's pronounced "Yeh-hoo-ahh" aside from you? A bit of Googling reveals no one that I can find agreeing with your opinion on "Yeh-hoo-ahh".

Pronouncing the Tetragrammaton

I would suggest that anyone suggesting a particular way of pronouncing the tetragrammaton is just guessing.

• oppostate
    oppostate
    So I can see the 4 vowels, but I can't find anyone suggesting it's pronounced "Yeh-hoo-ahh" aside from you?

Peruse some published references available from these two others:

• GĂ©rard Gertoux (president of the Association Biblique de Recherche d'Anciens Manuscrits)
    • Greg Stafford (former JW apologist and founder of the Christian Witnesses of Jah)

• oppostate
    oppostate

@freemindfade stop trolling around.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

"My troll brother _Morpheus want to go eat a baby in one of our atheist rituals then have a gay orgy whilst burning the Confederate flag? "

ohhhhh..... Freemind, you had me right uo until the gay orgy part.... Unless its a lesbian orgy in which case i'll bring the baby, you bring the lesbians!

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Wait let me turn off troll mode for a second.

• Greg Stafford (former JW apologist and founder of the Christian Witnesses of Jah)???

Oh boy...

• oppostate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit