Paperback?

by Maxee 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Maxee
    Maxee

Has anyone seen the paperback editions of previous and recent bookstudy pubs. I haven't seen them here in Aus?
    Also I recieved a email today from my brother, who too is a enquiring JW. He wrote that in a footnote in a book written by Raymond Franz 'Christian Freedom' that due to the abundance of old publications in order to get rid of the excess stock these publications were nominated by the faithful and discreet slave and encouraged via KM's to be used as the book study spiritual food. Has anyone read Christian Freedom? Has anyone else heard this?
    Dampens that scripture in Matt when we look at what 'the faithful and discreet slave' prides itself upon fulfilling...providing spiritual food at the appropriate times.

• Caliban
    Caliban

Hi Maxee
    It woldn't surprise me that they use the book study to force sell old excess stock.
    The funny thing when they study older publications in the book study is that a lot of the teachings are no longer considered 'the truth' but no one ever seems to notice or bother.
    I have a theory that 80% of witnesses couldn't tell you what the societies current teachings are on many topics.
    They don't know their own beliefs but the society doesn't mind because it makes it harder to disprove them. When trying to show someone the real truth it's sometimes neccessary to show them what their current beliefs are first.
    Good grief.

• smiddy
    smiddy

????

• darkspilver
    darkspilver
    Hi Maxee

Has anyone seen the paperback editions of previous and recent bookstudy pubs. I haven't seen them here in Aus?

The Secret of Family Happiness

Also I recieved a email today from my brother, who too is a enquiring JW. He wrote that in a footnote in a book written by Raymond Franz 'Christian Freedom' that due to the abundance of old publications in order to get rid of the excess stock these publications were nominated by the faithful and discreet slave and encouraged via KM's to be used as the book study spiritual food. Has anyone read Christian Freedom? Has anyone else heard this?

No. Maybe in olden times, like last century? But I'd expect even then that the WT would have had to have printed more anyway back then when a particular book or brochure was to be used by everyone for the weekly study. I can imagine them moving the order that the books/brochures were studied to logisitically make the printing of them more efficient.

• freddo
    freddo

That's a better resurrection than Lazarus, smiddy!

The points are good from the original poster though. The paperback stuff was an original cost cutting measure - remember those awful paperback bibles before the present silver one? And some of the books offered (like the CD-ROM still does) contained "old truths".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit