A Time of Magic

by Lost Diamond 4 Replies latest jw friends

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

I really like this man's philosophy. This made me think twice about rushing when putting my own to kids to bed.

A Time Of Magic

By Roberto Dansie

www.robertodansie.com

"Do you want a book story or a story from me?" This was the question my father always asked when putting me to bed. It was my favorite time of the entire day. I got to choose. And if I went for a story from him, my father would give me two more options. A true story, or just a story. Invariably I would choose a true story, which had to do with him when he was a little boy.

My youngest brother also went through this family ritual. When it came to the true stories, Martin interrupted my father and said. "Dad, millions of years ago there where dinosaurs. That means
    that when you were a little boy you got to see the dinosaurs didn't you"? I laughed and wondered how my father would take such a comment, but he just smiled and proceeded to tell Martin a story of the dinosaurs he encounter when he was just a little boy.

As I grew older, my father shared with me more stories, the ones
    that actually happened to him. I found them just as captivating as the ones he told me in my younger years. That is how I came to see this world, at the turn of the 20th century and in the land of Montana. I got to know his favorite dogs, the work with the sheep, the buggies and horses, the fly fishing, the habits of the deer and moose, the long winter nights, and the colorful skies of
    the aurora borealis.

"Time to go to sleep!" my mother would say, bringing me back to my time and place, and my father would say "we will finish it some other time." And I would wonder about what had happened next.

The night would come and he would start the story where he had left it, and still there would always be more waiting, always something to look forward to.

When my father past away the stories stopped. It is kind of hard to go on with life without stories.

The substitute for these stories was books, TV, and Movies. They where generic, distant, impersonal. They killed time, but did not infuse it with life.

When my children arrived. And the time came for them to be put to bed. I read them from their childrens books, and then, one day, I told them a story of my father, and the stories that he told me. I found in there eyes the look that my father had found in mine. And magic came back into my life, and I felt my father near, so near. The day came when I told them my first real story. A key moment in our lives. The stories of the adventures I went through when I was just a little boy. These stories have become their favorite. And it's funny; these stories still have no end. For the most interesting story is the story of our life. My father died when I was a young man. My children never met him, yet they know him and his adventures. I have no doubt my children will find themselves telling their children of their grandfather, their father and their own adventures of a lifetime. They to will find their time of Magic.

• scooter
    scooter

What a great idea, LD, will give it a try tonight with my two little girls!

• Larry
    Larry

Montana sounds like a beautiful place to explore

That story reminds me of my definition of 'everlasting life' which is through genetics and story telling (memories).

Yes, everyone has a story and each story is as good as the next. We sometimes short change ourselves and think our story doesn't amount to much and ignore the beauty of self - Uniqueness is a wonderful thing.

Oh, back to the main point - It's a beautiful thing to see a content look on your childs face when you put them to bed

Peace and thanks for sharing

• Mary
    Mary

LD, that is so nice, it almost brought tears to my eyes..........

Too many kids today are being "raised" by computers and the TV where all they know is violence or witchcraft. How many parents actually still tell their kids bedtime stories?? To tell them true stories of life the way it was "in the old days" is not only "spending quality time with them", but it's educational too.

I'm sure it's something your kids will remember forever. :-)

• Lost Diamond
    Lost Diamond

Larry,

I have visited Montana on numerous occasions and I can't get over how beautiful the land is. Hope you get to explore it someday.

Nothing beats that look of contentment on a childs face, I agree. It's almost angelic.

Mary,

The "old days" reminds me of when my little girl asked me if there were automobiles back in the "olden days" (LOL...I'm only 36!). Kids say the funniest things!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit