RC musings - my impressions

by Doubting Bro 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

So I went to the RC this past weekend and have a few observations:

1 - Use of videos - Most parts had some sort of video prop. They ranged from awkward (an example was on Friday where they showed scenes of nature without a real purpose other than God made this) to very well done. Several of the videos were made to tug at people's heartstrings and the results were several people crying on a few. The low light was the Sophia video where she gives her ice cream money to the WTS. I was reading here at the time to stop myself from getting angry. Lots of demos using the video and they were much better than a live demo. The interviews I didn't think would be as compelling as those with local folks who people in the audience may know. But, that may be better since many times the back story of the person being interviewed isn't that positive.The drama was WAY better than the live action, exaggerated gesture dramas of old. Also, it was more interesting to see the speakers face than just listening.

2 - Jesus - they actually mentioned Jesus (the theme) more times this weekend than likely the last 2 years of meetings combined! LOL - I thought they were going to spontaneously combust. It's so crazy for a so called Christian religion to pay no attention to Jesus but they got it out of the way with this one. Of course, the whole RC was to promote their new Jesus book (see we do believe in Jesus look at this book).

3 - Slackers - Many shots squarely at the men in the audience who don't "reach out". The congregation I attend has TWICE as many ex-elders as current elders. This is not something that is unusual and clearly something the WTS has no clue how to address. The only weapon in their arsenal is guilt. Guess what boys, it doesn't work!

4 - Doubters - I think this is the first time I can recall so much talk about doubt. The drama tried to compare a disciple of Jesus to modern day JWs and basically tell them choke those doubts down. I'll tell you what GB. You perform a miracle and I'll start believing in you. Personally, I have NO doubts that JWs are NOT the "earthly portion of God's organization". Zero. Again, they can't wrap their minds around why someone would leave or fade so they figure it must be Satan. Instead of taking an honest look that their teachings and the atmosphere of the congregations, they essentially blame the individual that they aren't grateful enough.

4 - Attendance - Seemed smaller than normal. The high water mark was 5900. It was around 5400 for Friday morning session. 22 baptized with the majority looking under 18. One little girl was certainly under 10.

5 - Lett is insane. Seriously what is wrong with that dude and why do they continue to trot him out? He did the sound drama which was basically a bible reading with some commentary. Ok fine but his crazy expressions are actually distracting. The looks on peoples faces when he started speaking were so funny. They wanted to make fun of him but felt like a lightening bolt would strike them dead so you could see the internal struggle to try to pretend to take him seriously.

All in all, a waste of 3 days but at least I kept my wife happy and saw a few folks I haven't seen in a while. At least I didn't have to listen to TM3 again like last year.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Wow knowing the venue you were at 5900 is light.... Hopefully its the same when i trek down there...

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

DB: The only weapon in their arsenal is guilt.

Don't forget, they also use Fear and False Hope.

DB: Again, they can't wrap their minds around why someone would leave or fade so they figure it must be Satan. Instead of taking an honest look that their teachings and the atmosphere of the congregations, they essentially blame the individual that they aren't grateful enough.

You really nailed it with this comment. It's just not in their toolkit to even consider that THEY COULD BE THE PROBLEM!

DB: Lett is insane. Seriously what is wrong with that dude and why do they continue to trot him out?

No, you gotta love this guy. He actually was one of the biggest reasons I came to conclude this religion could not be "The One True Religion." I used to watch (actually I couldn't even look at him, he's such an idiot) him give talks at DCs and concluded that there is no way in hell that any kind of a god would ever choose Lett to represent anything!

• Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro

Yeah, the video screens blocked out a big chunk of seats. So I think they added an extra weekend and will have smaller crowds. They pay so little for the venue, it doesn't even matter.

Oh, by the way, parking really sucks this year. They are doing construction in the area and some streets around the venue are closed. At least no one was working Friday and I didn't burn a vacation day.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Were my parents at this one? I keep wondering if they will give me the brochure or not.
  • OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Number of baptisms is quite low. I'm interested to see how that goes this year - I'm predicting a pretty big drop off after last year between the disappointment of 2014 coming and going and I suspect we'll be correcting for a slight increase in baptisms from the international conventions last year. I'm sure there are many that would've otherwise waited to get baptized but only did it because it was such a big event.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    When did the show the Ice cream video? I was late on every day so I may have missed it.
  • Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    Oubliette - Yeah, I guess I forgot fear and false hope. LOL - all that stuff has less and less of an effect the more they use it.
  • Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    I believe it was on Sat morning for the ice cream video
  • Doubting Bro
    Doubting Bro
    Londo - no I didn't see your parents nor anyone from their congregation. They must be assigned to a later one.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit