Dictionary

by TheOldHippie 7 Replies latest jw friends

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

Just to avoid misunderstandings and the like, could some enlighetened brain help a poor foreigner with explaining these terms and shortenings being used here, that I get them all more or less correctly:

LOL

IMHO

SYS

borg

dub

any others .....

Just to nail them 100 % correctly.

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

Well I can help with a few,

LOL = laugh out loud, this is so you can tell the writer may be joking, he is laughing out loud

BORG = the Organization of mindless robot drones known as the Jehovahs Witnesses Orginization

dub = short for "JW" or Jay "Dub"belew, a Jehovahs Witness

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

IMHO = "In my humble opinion"
    IMNSHO = "In my not so humble opinion"

• Matty
    Matty

SYS is See You Soon

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

Drat...

I thought this was going to be a thread about how the dubs use the dictionary to arrive at truth (TM).

In the congregation I was in for many years, it was an ongoing way for the elders to start their talks. If the talk was about, say, having "zeal" in the ministry, they would start it by saying, "According to the dictionary, the definition of 'zeal' is...". They used to do this sort of thing all the time. It seemed like you couldn't get through a week of meetings without somebody starting a talk that way.

After a while, I started to refer to it as "the gospel according to Webster".

Sometimes it seemed to me that they used the dictionary more than the Bible.

Edited by - NeonMadman on 28 August 2002 9:22:4

• DJ
    DJ

I just posted to a thread and referred to this subject briefly. The dubs don't use the dictionary whe they really need to .....for example...gospel means good news and grace means undeserved kindness and obesiance means worship.....etc....They use the dictionary when it suits their doctrine...only.

Hi hippie, In chat brb means be right back. Oh yea, ((((((((((((((hug))))))))))))))))). I felt the need to tell you the hug thing because at first I thought it was used to call someone loudly to get their attention.......LOL!!!! I hugged a lot of people, by mistake. EEEEWWWWWW dj

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

hi hippy and SWAZOBT means Smokin' weed and zoning out big time!

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    The dubs don't use the dictionary whe they really need to .....for example...obesiance means worship.....

Great point; I never heard a talk where anyone said, "According to the dictionary, obeisance means..."

Too bad I didn't think of it, I might have slipped that into one of my talks before I left.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit