thinker's thoughts on the Bible...

by thinker 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thinker
    thinker

Thomas Jefferson said of Jesus's teachings:
    "They have been still more disfigured by the corruptions of schismatizing followers, who have found an interest in sophisticating and perverting the simple doctrines he taught, by engrafting on them the mysticisms of a Grecian sophist, frittering them into subtleties, and obscuring them with jargon, until they have caused good men to reject the whole in disgust, and to view Jesus himself as an impostor. " (from Jefferson's Syllabus of an Estimate of the
    Merit of the Doctrines of Jesus,
    Compared with Those of Others)

I started to think about where my thoughts on the Bible came from. My basic thoughts on it are contained in the most important biblical characters words (Jesus) from his most "formal" sermon, the sermon on the mount.
    I'm sure many can find scripture to prove alot of different things that they believe in. But for me, this says it all.

Blessed are:
    the poor in spirit
    they that mourn
    the meek
    they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness
    the merciful
    the pure in heart
    the peacemakers
    they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake

Mat5:43 Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. Mat5:44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; Mat5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Mat5:46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same? Mat5:47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others?

(How could anyone possible read this and then shun someone ??!!)

Mat6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

(To me this says: "Build a one-on-one relationship with God", Jehovah, Yahweh, etc...)

Mat7:1 Judge not, that ye be not judged. Mat7:2 For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.

Mat7:7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: Mat7:8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

(ANYONE can have a relationship with Him. No need for interpreters, governing bodies, etc...)

Mat7:15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Mat7:16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Mat7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? Mat7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

(Works are nice, but it's whats in your heart that counts)

thinker

• Gopher
    Gopher

Thinker,

Thanks for "boiling it down" to something so simple and motivating! I have just recently come to the board after having been "out" for one year, and have been through the mill.

Anyways, I've needed something to fill the "void" that opened up when I left. The answer seems to be: consider Jesus, and follow him. You don't need an organization "prodding" you to do that, hopefully!

Of the Sermon on the Mount, the Society literature often quotes Mohandas Gandhi when he spoke to a representative of the British government. He said, "When your country and mine shall get together on the teachings in the Sermon on the Mount, we shall have solved not only the problems of our two countries, but also those of the whole world." (However, he also said "I love Jesus Christ. I do not love Christians", or something to that effect.)

Gopher

• ZazuWitts
    ZazuWitts

Thinker,

Once again, thanks for such a fine post. These words of Christ sum it all up don't they - such a simple but
    exquisite message. Surely no support of 'shunning' contained within. Just a pure, basic directive as to how to treat and views others...and how to approach God without any assistance from an organization and their never-
    ending rules.

• thinker
    thinker

Read a great quote this morning. Seems to fit some peoples idea of the bible.
    "Any darn fool can make something complex. It takes a genius to make something simple..." Woody Guthrie

• Carmel
    Carmel

Thinker,

You mean the law of Parsimony applies to religion? Wow, what will all the egomaniacs do?

carmel

• mommy
    mommy

Thinker,
    I am sorry this thread was buried, I never did see until now. Thank you for the simplicity of your post(good thing really)
    I have a saying too....Trust in your heart, and it shall direct your paths.(borrowed)
    wendy

• agent2863
    agent2863

You didn't even need a study guide to figure that out, did you? Good message. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit