How do you feel about exJW's who resist our efforts to effect change?

by nicolaou 67 Replies latest jw experiences

• kaik
    kaik
    Some ex-JWs still hold belief that WT is the channel of God' communication, but organization is imperfect due human nature of the people. They get defensive of WT, and does not matter how many mistakes the organization makes. Some of the exJW crowd also hope to return once the WT "reforms" and gives them justification for their DA/DF. I met these exJWs like that, who are out for years, yet they internally feel connected to the WT.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

nicolaou

I don`t think you understood my reply to your OP , or I didn`t articulate my post clearly enough.

I was quoting what relatives have said to me over the years as to their reasons why they do not participate in sites like this one , and that is their choice ,however at no time did any of them criticize me for being on this site , so they are not resisting my efforts to do what I do on this site .

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

I have to agree with Scenic viewer and steve2 that some people are not studious enough or thinking through doctrinal matters or policy ,but rather have only an emotional feel good bond to the religion , and can therefore walk away when it suits them without feeling any connection with the religion .

This type of attitude sums up my relatives to a tee. They have no interest related to religion , Jehovah`s Witnesses , one way or another , and they certainly do not oppose or criticize or resist , anybody who does .

So in your O.P. i think you have failed to identify this category of ex J.W.`s

smiddy

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi smiddy. Yes, I understood your initial reply and that you were quoting relatives - no problem. I'm not so surprised you haven't met the sort of exJW I'm referring to, I guess they wouldn't be so common as to be identified as a 'category'.

I have met them however. I posted my experience and invited comment, that is all. Thanks for your insight.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I think we all react or act in our own way after leaving the filthy, disgusting cult.

It reminds me of that thing in the Bible about..'he gave some as evangelisers, some as..whatever'. We all work in different ways.

Some have had enough of JWism to last a lifetime and they don't want to recall it to mind, even to try to awaken another person.

This is profoundly simple yet poignant; 'Individuals, they are what they are.'

I don't have any personal feelings anymore....just gotta get on with my life as best as.

Mind you I am putting a book together to help fence sitters and even JWs (not that they'll read it).

• oppostate
    oppostate
    I am putting a book together to help fence sitters and even JWs (not that they'll read it).

You'd be surprised, Punk. I think there's a lot of traumatized ex-JW's and still-ins who feel trapped that would sincerely appreciate help to overcome the sense of hurt and disappointment the WT religion left them/us with.

It's like dealing with PTSD and having your mind fighting to heal the mental and emotional damage the WT inflicts.

Personally, I've downloaded into the Kindle just about any book exposing the WT that is available at Amazon.com, so I think you will find enough of an audience that is willing to read what you have to say about the JW religion.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

oppy - That's good news. I am putting stuff together at the moment. Just pondering over what to call the book and what to do for a cover....watch this space.

We all operate in our own ways, ay

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

ive been totally out of the cult for over half my life--i'm 67 now. i only discovered this online world of ex-jw's 5 years ago.

some of my family are still in it--probably for good. nothing i can do about it--ive been shunned most of that time.--except for my father--who is 94 now and--i'm sure--has his own private thoughts about what is right--and wrong---with his religion.

over the years--ive come across a fair number of ex-jw's. some want nothing to do with it--have moved on with their lives and have successfully blotted out the past.

others havent done so well----still believing its the truth and they will die at armageddon. mostly they are women----and--quite frankly i think they would be better off back in the cult.

they often display serious mental health issues--dabbling in spiritism or other arcane ideas. sometimes this leads to physical "illnesses" too--either real or imaginary.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I agree with you Nic, I haven't read the full thread yet but I was stimulated to respond early. Many freed ex JWs are embarrassed of their past and tell active exJWs to shut up and stop being active. While I don't agree with it I don't rub it in their faces.

I don't put anything up on my FB page and I don't approach JWs uless I am alone or the person with me doesn't mind.

I can understand they are embarrassed and want to put it all behind them but I don't condone it. They should get over their embarrassment and be more understanding of what we are doing to help other JWs.

Kate xx

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Agreed Kate, and I understand the embarrassment too. Once you're fully awake and out it can be truly cringeworthy to remember what you used to be like, but own it!

Makes me wonder though if exJWs like us who do blog and post are the real minority. Could be that most faders, Df'd and Da'd folks never come near JWN or other exJW sites . . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit