Does God change?

by thinker 6 Replies latest watchtower bible

• thinker
    thinker

Recently I read a thread about God's name. So I did some research on the word "name" in the bible. What I came away with is the question, "Does God change?". The bible says that Abram's name was changed to "Abraham" by God after a certain change in him. Names in those days had meaning. Lots of people and places in the bible were named for significant events or changes which took place. When the background or history of those people and places changed, so did the name.

Abraham was said to have preached "in the name of Jehovah" (Gen. 13:4). But was God's name Jehovah at that time? No.

Exodus 3:15

And God saith again unto Moses, `Thus dost thou say unto the sons of Israel, Jehovah, God of your fathers, God of Abraham, God of Isaac, and God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you; this [is] My name -- to the age, and this My memorial, to generation -- generation.

Exodus 6:3

and I appear unto Abraham, unto Isaac, and unto Jacob, as God Almighty; as to My name Jehovah, I have not been known to them;

(Young's literal translation)

What was God's name before Moses asked? Does it matter? The important point is His name CHANGED. Because of a significant event, God took on a new name. That name means "I will be what I will be". Seems to me that God was saying, "I've named people and places all over this land and I'll call myself whatever I damn well please, whenever I please." CHANGE.

What about Jesus? Born into the Jewish faith, did he just go along with the crowd and follow the religious leaders? No, Jesus was all about change!

God can call Himself anything He wants anytime He wants, so yes, it seems to me He does change.

• outnfree
    outnfree

Wow, thinker, it's nice to see you around here again!

How's TW?

If God does change then s/he could be any and all of the pantheon of gods and goddesses man has claimed as his own particular deity/ies, couldn't s/he?

Food for thought.

out

• thinker
  • Windchaser
    Windchaser

Edited by - windchaser on 25 August 2002 21:49:46

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Personally I think God did a complete turnaround by the time Jesus came to earth. Talk about multiple personalities.

• onacruse
    onacruse

Perhaps we should distinguish between the nature of a descriptive epithetical change, and an essential change. By definition, God has not changed and can not change essentially. However, the interaction of an infinite God with our finite universe and individual existences must ALWAYS change insofar as our perceptions of Him are concerned, including whatever name(s) He provides to us and by which we identify Him. Just as Abram did not change as a person simply because his name was changed.

Craig

• UnDisfellowshipped
    UnDisfellowshipped

That was a great Post Craig!

Here are some Scriptures that show that God's Nature (Grace, Love, Justice, Truth, Mercy, Wisdom) cannot change:

(Malachi 3:6) For I am Jehovah (Yahweh), I do not change; therefore YOU sons of Jacob are not consumed.

(Hebrews 7:22) By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better Testament.
    (Hebrews 7:23) And they truly were many Priests, because they were not allowed to continue by reason of death:
    (Hebrews 7:24) But this Man, because He continues forever, has an Unchangeable Priesthood.

(Psalms 102:24) I said, O my God, do not take me away in the midst of my days: Your years are throughout all generations.
    (Psalms 102:25) Of old You have laid the foundation of the Earth: and the Heavens are the work of Your hands.
    (Psalms 102:26) They shall perish, but You shall endure: yes, all of them shall become old like a garment; as a garment You shall change them, and they shall be changed:
    (Psalms 102:27) But You are the Same, and Your years shall have no end.
    (Psalms 102:28) The children of Your servants shall continue, and their seed shall be established before You.

(Hebrews 1:8) But to the Son He says, Your throne, O God, is forever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of Your Kingdom.
    (Hebrews 1:9) You have loved righteousness, and hated wickedness; therefore God, even Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness above Your fellows.
    (Hebrews 1:10) And, You, Lord, in the beginning have laid the foundation of the Earth; and the Heavens are the works of Your hands:
    (Hebrews 1:11) They shall perish; but You remain; and they all shall become old as does a garment;
    (Hebrews 1:12) And as a garment You shall fold them up, and they shall be changed: but You are the Same, and Your years shall not fail.

(Hebrews 13:8) Jesus Christ the Same yesterday, and today, and forever.
    (Hebrews 13:9) Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be established with Grace (undeserved kindness); not with meats, which have not profited them who have been occupied in it.

(James 1:17) Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of Lights, with whom there is no variableness or change, neither shadow caused by turning.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit