Do you ever feel strangely drawn towards Conspiracy Theories?

by JW_Rogue 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Generally speaking, no, I don't feel drawn to conspiracy theories.

Especially the 'big' ones such as the illuminati crap or 'George W. Bush did 9/11' nonsense.

Having said that, there are some conspiracy theories I'm drawn to.

I was very much interested at one stage in the death of Dr David Kelly - the only common sense coronary verdict was 'open', IMO. That episode stank of a cover-up. According to Norman Baker MP, amount of blood loss wasn't determined.

Inconsistencies in witness statements were not followed up by Lord Hutton's public inquiry. Chief of these was re the position of Kelly's body. The two search volunteers had the body 'slumped on the ground with his head and shoulders resting against the base of a tree' whereas later witnesses had Dr Kelly lying on his back with his head near a tree.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

The ironic thing is that there are a large number of real criminal, political, and civll conspiracies that vary in degree and scope (e.g. the Lysine price-fixing conspiracy of the 90's, etc.). It's almost like we can't stand a mundane explanation for certain events so we have to make it more grandiose. And, the less evidence the more it seems to stick and circle in the collective consciousness. Crazy...

LoveUniHateExams - Generally speaking, no, I don't feel drawn to conspiracy theories.Especially the 'big' ones such as the illuminati crap or 'George W. Bush did 9/11' nonsense.

LOL! Well, we do know why Bush couldn't have been behind 9/11. Cause it was well-orchestrated and worked according to plan.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes.... I put it down to 2 things:

a) Being brought up to distrust the government, the media and "the system"

b) Having once fallen for the biggest conspiracy theory of them all, it makes me interested in others....

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    This is my conspiracy theory in a nutshell. There is a group of men making up nonsensical conspiracy theories and spreading them so that people will direct their attention away from the real conspiracies
  • DJS
    DJS
    No.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I find the idea of conspiracies rather fun, but remain healthily skeptical about them.

So did man really go to the moon or what?

• Clambake
    Clambake

The WTS is basically a conspiracy theory making a person question the whole legimately of the bible with the production of the new world translation.

Instead of knowing let’s say what the book of Romans is all about a JW will isolate an indefinite article , quote something out of context, connect it to something to doesn’t matter and make a whole new doctrine.

It often to me seems like they are working to disprove the bible.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    My favorite is the fundagelical idea that entire scientific fields are actively and sinisterly conspiring to falsely promote evolution in an attempt to discredit the Bible.
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue
    I was reading an older WT the other day and it said "the doctrine of evolution" I thought that was funny. Science doesn't have doctrines and people aren't forced to believe anything without proving it to themselves first. Why such hate and disdain for science?
  • StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku

JW _Rogue - I was reading an older WT the other day and it said "the doctrine of evolution" I thought that was funny. Science doesn't have doctrines and people aren't forced to believe anything without proving it to themselves first. Why such hate and disdain for science?

LOL! And, there is the "doctrine of gravity", "doctrine of heliotropism", etc. I think it is a bit of "psychological projection". All religion require is faith with no evidence and an authoritative figure to follow. Science has neither and I think they often don't know how Science actually works but at the same time expect it to work like religion. When all you have is a hammer, you treat everything like a nail.

It is not until you leave (and hopefully get educated) that you realize how colossally ignorant and intellectually dishonest the Organization is. Why such disdain? Well, let's count the number of times Science has overturned a religious belief. Easy, right? Now, let's count the number of times Religion has overturned an established Scientific theory. Still waiting...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit