I received the following email to my Quotes address, which was apparently prompted by a page at my website (http://quotes.jehovahswitnesses.com/bible_errors.htm):
I am ot sure I understand. it was stated that the Bible has all kinds of mastakes in it because it was wrote by humion hands. Then I feel i am wasting my time studing it with your people because they tell me the Bible is wright and how would I know what it right in it or wrong so I will stop my studt tommrow when they come. Thank you for you time in this matterAnother person thinks that I am The Society -- they are studying with "my people". At least he/she read enough to get a good dose of cognitive dissonance. Not wanting to appear rude, I sent a reply. And not wanting to take a chance that the people he/she is studying with can talk their way out of the "errors in the bible" quote, I gave him/her a few other things to think about:
Thanks for taking the time to write to us. The subject of your message was "question" but you did not include a question in your message. However, you did mention the statement that was published by the Watchtower Society regarding "errors in the bible". This is not the only unusual, interesting, or significant thing published by the Watchtower Society over the years. Some of these things were later renounced, some where not. Further attention to our website will reveal such gems as:
Please be sure ask about these things to the Sisters that are studying with you. But before you do, you should be aware that, according to the Watchtower's definition, a lie is only a lie if the person being lied to has a " right to truthful information ". So if they feel that you don't have a right to truthful information, they can lie to you without guilt. If we can be of further help, please let us know! Yours very truly, [email protected]
- belief that Blacks are inferior to Whites but can turn their skin white if they pray enough
- belief that God resides on the star Alcyone in the Pleiades star cluster
- belief that the Great Pyramid in Egypt is " God's Stone Witness "
- belief that Aluminium Cookware is poisonous and cancer causing
- belief that a raped woman is guilty of fornication if she does not scream
- instruction that a wife is NOT entitled to a scriptural divorce if her husband commits homosexual acts
- belief that masturbation leads to homosexuality
- predicting the end of the world would come in 1914 , 1925 , 1975
- saying that Jesus' invisible presence began in 1840 , 1872 , 1874 , 1878 , 1914 , 1918 , 1925 , 1975
- meanwhile, while delivering the above "spiritual food", The Watchtower Society chose for itself the titles " God's Channel " and " God's Prophet " and " God's Organization " -- lofty titles indeed!
- becoming officially (but secretly) associated with the United Nations , an organization they publicly denounce as "the disgusting thing of Daniel's Prophecy"
Edited by - Quotes on 24 August 2002 15:24:49