Isaiah 9:6 (Who is this child?)

by 1ofMany 7 Replies latest watchtower bible

• 1ofMany
    1ofMany

Is this verse not talking of Jesus?

If not please tell me.

If so, He's been given some pretty interesting names don't you think?

Does this not 'hint' that Jesus is who evangelical Christians believe He is?

Any thoughts would be most welcome...

• bjc2012
    bjc2012

Hi 1ofMany,

Have you read Jesus' words at John 10:31-36, where he quotes from Psalms 82:6 in verses 34? Note that Jesus has reference to the rulers of Israel. Did not Jehovah tell Moses that he would be "God" to Aaron at Exodus 4:16, which says: "And he must speak for you to the people; and it must occur that he will serve as a mouth to you, and you will serve as God to him?" Therefore, a human can be referred to as God in certain circumstances and it not be considered that this individual is the Almighty God Jehovah. There are 'many gods and many lords' as Paul tells us but Jehovah is the one judging all of them as Psalms 82:1 says: "God is stationing himself in the assembly of the Divine One; In the middle of the gods he judges."

bjc

• agent2863
    agent2863

You are correct 1ofMany. Many try to make excuses for these awsome names that are given here to the Christ child, but none hold any water. The scriptures are clear. If Jesus were just simply a man or an angel, as the W.T. claims, He would not be given these titles. Let the word of God be your authority.

• agent2863
    agent2863

A man can never be called God. That is not what God was saying in Exodus 4:16. The context in Ex. 4 reveals that Moses did not want to speak, so the Lord chose Aaron to speak the words which Moses give him, which in turn Moses had received from God. Aaron would not be receiving the words directly from God, but through Moses. The Lord was simply using a metaphor, "as if you were God to him." No where is it stated that Aaron was to 'call' Moses God. The "gods" spoken of in Psalms 82 is a reference to the judges among the people of Israel.(Deut. 1:16,17) God is not really saing they are gods. Whenever 'gods' is used in the entire Bible, it's never a good thing. In John 10:31-36, Jesus is using this reference to catch the Jews. He's playing with them a little to make a point. That is all really beside the point. The main meaning of this passage is that the Jews knew exactly what Jesus was claiming. Because of Jesus' claim in John 10:30, "I and my Father are one.", they were ready to stone Him. Why? Vs.33, "Because you being a man, make yourself God!" That is why they were so upset. Pauls reference to "many gods & many lords" speaks of the idol infested culture he lived in. There is but one God. Isaiah 44:6, 'This what the Lord says, Israel's King & Redeemer, the Lord Almighty, "I am the first & I am the last. Apart from Me there is no God."

• logical
    logical
    A man can never be called God

A man can never be called God Almighty, god yes, Almighty God, no.

Isaiah 44:6 proves this point...

• RR
    RR

I think you guys need to look into your Bibles more, there are many references where the term "god" is given to "man,"

As to the text in questions, Jesus is the God's "right hand man," so to speak. All authority has been given to him, these titles are his dueing his kingdom reign, because he gave life to the world through his sacrifice, he will be the "Everlasting Father."

• agent2863
    agent2863

Sure, you can 'call' a man a god, but my point was, it does not mean that he is one. I don't believe the scriptures that were quoted by bjc2012 are in evidence that men are gods or can 'rightly' be called so. You can call a Ford a Chevy, sure, but it does not make it one. When God did refer to men as gods, it was in a dramatic, sarcastic way to point out their foolishness & arrogance in their misdeeds. The hebrew word for 'gods' used in Ps. 82 means judge or rulers, which the context of the passage gives evidence to. God is rebuking Israels rulers for unrighteous judgements.

• agent2863
    agent2863

Hello RR. Because Christ gave his life as a sacrifice, makes Him our Saviour. "Eternal Father" is a clear identity of His deity. I mean, how many "Eternal Fathers" can there be? I thought J.W.'s didn't believe Jesus was eternal.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit