Power of music-alive inside documentary

by 1Averagejoe 0 Replies latest social entertainment

• 1Averagejoe
    1Averagejoe

I don't know if this subject has been discussed before since my search option on this forum does not work. But it's been a year since the release of the film "ALIVE INSIDE-A story of Music and Memory." which follows social worker Dan Cohen as he demonstrates his findings on how a part of the brain usually remains unaffected by age and how music can be used to reach in and connect memory to things "forgotten" but are really still there. Much more on the dvd. I think it's amazing!

I was wondering have any of you friends seen it and what you think of it?

We at times experience how the senses bring back memories with no conscious effort from us, usually by a smell of a dish we had when we were young or of a flower and music.

We enjoy listening to music as it is mood altering and can stir our emotions, sooth us (like when mum dear would sing you a lullaby) thus reducing stress. Music can also induce stress.

Speaking of which I am reminded of the alien character Boov from the movie "Home" scene with music....

"Driver gets to pick."

"This is not even music."

"This is just noise! "

Boov's body has involuntary physical response.

" You have tricked me into listening to a debilitating sonic weapon."

" If you want humans to not hate you... You could start by liking some of our stuff. "

" Confusion. What is happening to my body?! "

"It's called dancing! "

"Boov do not do dancing!"

"I can tell. But you're getting the hang of it!"

"How long before this kills me? I am not in control of my own extremities!"

"That's it! Work it!"

"I do not want it to work."

"Shake your boov thang."

"It is shaking in the most undignified way! Oh, no! My hands are in the air like I just do not care! This is not how a Boov behaves! I am overheated with shame!"n :D

When I was a young' un, I remember being at a large family gathering and everyone was having fun when I burst out in tears! When asked why all I could do was point at the record playing Skeeter Davis' sad sounding songs.

I also read somewhere how music has been used in getting one into an hypnotic state. How about the sounds rituals we hear at the hall, dulling music and tone of voice from the speaker which may put the audience to sleep or worse reach that subconscious mind and plant suggestions in there before you can rationalised it? Just asking have you come across good research on this?

If anything please watch that documentary and see what you think.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit