New Thoughts about the "three-fold cord" that is not easily broken and what it means....

by Muddy Waters 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Got to thinking about this the other day...

You know how the WTS uses a scripture from Ecclesiastes (Ecc.4:12) to say how important it is to have Jehovah in your marriage -- that a two-fold cord is easily broken or pulled apart, but a "three-fold cord is not easily broken". They then go on to define exactly who and what Jehovah is and what exactly this love & marital arrangement means and how you properly show and demonstrate it, and blah blah blah and all the things Jehovah (through his organization) says are so necessary and important for a happy marriage (from their special bias and agenda, the preaching work! - and meeting attendance & preparation, and studying the bible together and the husband taking the lead, and all that JW FILLER which they define and obligate for others to do -- they define every term and behavior and expectation to the nth degree.

Then it occurred to me, that the scriptures simply and always say, "God is LOVE."

(at this point in my journey, am agnostic/atheist or what-the-hell-ist)

So anyway.... I mean, really. If God is "love", and you have LOVE in your marriage, isn't this really what the scripture is all about??

You don't need all the religious rigamarol and trapping and defining and telling you what to do. Most people know what love means and how you show it. Most people know the right thing to do and how to treat each other with kindness, respect, love, etc. (unless you're a psychopath or have some serious issues & problems!)

I am so through with religion and all of their their pious, limiting, stringent definitions and standards. Viva la LOVE! :) :)

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Well, phooey. I knew my title would suck and wondered if my great "Revelation" (haha) would get any notice. But I'd already posted it and am unable to change the subject title. More phooey, lol.

So. This was a huge realization for me, lol.

I wish I'd made the title "God, Love & Marriage vs. WT Cow-turd Stuff-and-bother when the bible "truth" is so plain....!!"

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

that the scriptures simply and always say, "god is love."

Not really Jah is a genocidal murderer of innocent humans, not exactly what one could define as loving and just.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    True, Fink. You are quite correct. I didn't word that very well.
  • Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters

Okee, made a new post, with a new title and slightly edited ! :)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/355140001/god-love-marriage-vs-wt-cow-turd-stuff-bother-when-this-one-scripture-plain

May we meet over there...?

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

This is a verse that is so, so, so misapplied. It's generally applied to marriage, right? Husband, wife, Jehovah? This was a recent research session for me. Let's see what it's REALLY talking about:

Eccl 4:7-12

I turned my attention to another example of futility under the sun: 8 There is a man who is all alone, without any companion; he has no son or brother, but there is no end to all his hard work. His eyes are never satisfied with riches. But does he ask himself, ‘For whom am I working hard and depriving myself of good things’? This too is futility and a miserable occupation.
    9 Two are better than one because they have a good reward for their hard work. 10 For if one of them falls, the other can help his partner up. But what will happen to the one who falls with no one to help him up?
    11 Moreover, if two lie down together, they will stay warm, but how can just one keep warm? 12 And someone may overpower one alone, but two together can take a stand against him. And a threefold cord cannot quickly be torn apart.

Notice, there is no mention of a husband and wife here, but "son or brother", yes. And what does the threefold cord apply to? Defending oneself. Hard to defend yourself by yourself. Easier with a second person. Much easier with a third. This has NOTHING to do with marriage and having Jehovah as the third cord.

• Muddy Waters
    Muddy Waters
    Ha! Leaving-quietly, that is amazing! I wasn't even thinking about the damn CONTEXT, because the WT spiel about that verse never gives you the freaking context. You always hear it applied to marriage, and that's where it it sticks.
  • a watcher
    a watcher
    I apply the '3-fold cord' phrase to my relationship with Jehovah and Jesus. It works for me.
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Muddy, I have always hated the way they apply that verse, too.

I am busy enough just dealing with the two of us who are in this marriage without worrying about anyone else.

• ssn587
    ssn587
    Does divorcing mean you had a cordless marriage.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit