Saw this Watch Tower article from 100 years ago and decided to start a "100 Years Ago Today" blog on AD1914.com

by Gilgamesh 7 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

JUNE 1915 - C T RUSSELL WAS PROMOTING A "SPICY" PUBLICATION THAT HE HADN'T READ, & SAID HE WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH.

http://ad1914.com/100-years-june-28-1915/

June 1915 was the first full month wherein Watchtower readers could obtain and read a new publication that had just become available out of Brooklyn in the previous month. Here's how it was announced in the May 1, 1915 Watchtower, known then as, Zion's Watch Tower, emphasis ours:

JUDGE RUTHERFORD'S SPICY DEFENSE

Brother Rutherford, grieved by the various untruthful, slanderous attacks upon the Editor, has prepared a pamphlet in my defense. A copy of it has just been handed me. I have not yet read it, though, of course, I knew of its preparation and in a general way of its contents. I preferred not to have anything to do with its publication. It explains Brother Rutherford's views as a lawyer, as a brother, and as a man who most fully understands the entire situation. It contains some interesting illustrations and is priced at ten cents per copy, or eight dollars per hundred copies, postpaid. It is not unreasonable to expect that nearly all of our readers will be very glad to have this pamphlet, as it will furnish them with evidence on every point thus far brought forward by my maligners.

Orders for the pamphlets should be addressed to Judge Rutherford, New York City, P.O. Box 51. However, we will have a supply at THE WATCH TOWER Office, and, if one is ordering other things, this pamphlet can be supplied also. It is entitled, "A GREAT BATTLE IN THE ECCLESIASTICAL HEAVENS."

If you'd like to read this booklet, it is available online in a few places. (See below for one of them.) You might enjoy it. But you might also see why Russell wanted nothing to do with this particular publication. Legal experts have also surmised why, perhaps, he would state that he had not personally read the publication. The booklet is packed with information which would require a full book's worth of commentary to do it justice.

https://archive.org/details/AGreatBattleInTheEcclesiasticalHeavens

great battle
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot
    This is a very clever idea.
  • cleanideas
    cleanideas
    Great idea!
  • Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

I added another one. This time about the 1915 Troy-Rutherford debates.

ruth-troy-debate

100 Years Ago: Presidential Debates – Watchtower Style

The Watch Tower Society found that debates were a fairly good way of “marketing” so that this very small religious group could make a big splash.

Russell, as president of the Watch Tower Society, had gained attention especially through the Eaton-Russell debate in 1903 and then White-Russell debate in 1908. He said that he believed the Lord’s providence had opened up the way for those two debates.

So why did Russell put the report about about the Rutherford-Troy debate in the very back as the last article of the May 1, 1915 Watch Tower? And, more importantly, why was the first article in this same issue all about downplaying the value of debates?

Some have guessed that Russell was a bit concerned about Rutherford’s brash and bombastic style, and that it probably did not represent the same style Russell himself had carefully cultivated for the Watch Tower. . . . More . . .

The whole article is long and has already been covered on JWN before, so I'll just point to the article over on the site if anyone might wish to read on . . .

• Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

100 Years Ago: July 1915 – Going to war was still OK

Main Points:

• In 1915, the Watch Tower still supported going to war if drafted, a policy that stayed about the same from at least as early as 1898 to as late as 1939.
    • Watch Tower suggests that if drafted to serve (conscripted) the Bible Student should request non-combatant service but, if not given this option, could shoot to miss, or shoot over the head of the enemy.
    • An interesting story is offered in support of God’s blessing on this “tactic.” Based on the meeting between between two “Bible Student” combatants, armed against each other with bayonets, early in 1915.
    • The odds against this story actually occurring were so astronomical that the story is, in effect, a claim of a miracle – but a miracle in support of a doctrine that Jehovah never really approved.

The whole article/post is long so I won't repeat it here. It's at:

http://ad1914.com/2015/07/26/100-years-ago-july-1915-going-to-war-was-still-ok/

I thought it was most interesting how the latest 2015 Yearbook still uses a story from 1915 about a mathematically "miraculous" meeting of two soldiers. The article discusses the odds of this occurring unless miraculous. But if it was miraculous, why did Jehovah produce such a miracle in support of a "false" doctrine, when he surely should have found it much easier to protect an "accurate" Greek manuscript of the New Testament with Jehovah's name in it. (for example.)

• oppostate
    oppostate

Whoa! I was at a return visit with this Mormon couple and the young man quoted me a story of a British soldier in the trenches. The call to charge the enemy lines came. The Brit was in no-mans land among all the ruckus and as the enemy was routed and the noise of battle quieted down, he heard the whistling of a mormon hymn, thinking one of his fellows was still in no-man's land made him think that he might be wounded and could be a mormon too.

So he went farther away from the trench and on his belly made his way to a bomb crater where the whistling was coming from. To his surprise the fellow was an enemy soldier who'd been bayoneted but still alive though bleeding and probably whistling to distract his mind from the pain of his injury.

When the enemy soldier saw him appear his face contorted in horror thinking he was probably going to be wounded again and this time for good. But then the British soldier started singing in a soft voice the words of the song, then whistling the tune of that same hymn. The enemy soldier in realization that he was face to face with a fellow mormon, looked up to the heavens, and slumped back with a big sigh.

Knowing that the enemy soldier was probably near dying from the injury and blood loss, the British soldier took action and grabbing him by the collar of his coat pulled him behind himself as he crawled back to the safety of his trench.

He saw to it that the enemy was seen by a medic right away and was gurney'd off to a prisoners of war hospital.

My call recounted this story as proof that God had a hand in bringing these two mormons on opposite sides of the war together to save a life.

I guess this doesn't happen with Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox or atheist soldiers, only among cults, which is quite interesting.

• Gilgamesh
    Gilgamesh

oppostate,

Interesting. I was looking up 7th Day Adventists reactions to the war to see if there were similarities. I didn't see a parallel story, but I noticed that German 7DA's are apologizing for their pro-War stance during WW1. But I also found it interesting that several Adventists believed (along with Bible students) that Jesus wouldn't delay his arrival beyond the end of 1915.

https://www.stanet.ch/apd/news/3995.html

The Presidents of both Conferences, Pastors Johannes Naether (Hannover) and Günther Machel (Ostfildern near Stuttgart), recall that many Adventists at the time saw the outbreak of World War I as “a sign of the end of the world”. Before the war, a number of Adventists had served in the military but refused to carry out duties on Sabbath (Saturday), risking potentially severe penalties. Others considered it part of their preparation for the imminent return of Jesus to refuse to carry weapons or to participate in the military immunization program.

However, shortly after the general mobilization on August 2, 1914, the Central European leadership of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Hamburg issued a circular letter recommending enlisted Adventists to “fulfil our military duties wholeheartedly and with joy," to bear arms, and also to serve on the Sabbath. This circular and other such publications provoked a complex protest in Adventist congregations, leading to tensions and divisions within the church. In 1915 this state of affairs led to the rising of a separate organization, the self-designated “Reform Movement”, which accused its mother church, the “greater church” of a “Babylonian apostasy from the true Advent faith”.

"Today we recognize and concede," said the two German Seventh-day Adventist leaders, "that during these disputes our fathers often did not act in the spirit of love and reconciliation demonstrated by Jesus." Out of concern for the survival of the denomination in Germany, advice contradicting the Word of God was given which led to division and profound hurt. The former Adventist leadership did not adequately fulfil their responsibility to the Church. They unjustly accused members who contradicted them of having “fallen” from the truth, and in individual cases went as far as having people pursued by the authorities. . . .

Today, Pastors Naether and Machel again apologize in the name of the Seventh-day Adventist Church, saying; "Even though none of those directly involved are still alive, we ask their descendants and relatives along with the still existing groups of the Reform Movement for forgiveness for our failings. . . .

From amongst these critics, some of whom explained their opposition by their expectation of Jesus return in early summer 1915, a fixed group established itself over the course of the year. Some later found a place back in an Adventist congregation, but the majority of the objectors remained part of this “Seventh-day Adventist Reform Movement” which rejected any form of military service altogether.

The circular letter of August 2, 1914, was criticized by the Adventist Church World Leadership based in the USA, and was later withdrawn with regret by the German Church Leadership in 1920, and again in 1923. This attempt at reconciliation failed however, as had previous attempts from both sides soon after the First World War ended. As a result, two Adventist camps existed during the time of the Weimar Republic: the traditional Seventh-day Adventists, and the Reformed Seventh-day Adventists, who subsequently divided into a number of further smaller groups due to internal conflicts. Most dissolved prior to the start of the Nazi regime, and the remaining groups soon came to the attention of the new rulers, since they refused to participate in elections. In 1936 the Gestapo dissolved the Reform Movement. Most of the smaller groups were outlawed in the same year, the remainder in 1937 and 1942.

END OF QUOTE

I find it interesting how the portion of the 7DA's who broke off from the larger group (because they apparently stood up conscientiously for something good) were the ones who ultimately nearly disappeared.

There is a site that still represents the 7DA reform movement: http://www.sdarm.org/book/export/html/5

Here are some excerpts from that site about the same situation mentioned above:

The opposing faction finally brought about the disfellowshipment from the organization of the followers of the original principles of faith." . . .

In the same year, SDA leaders made another declaration, as follows:

"In the beginning of the war there were some members, as there are also in other places, who did not want to take part in war service, either because of their lack of unity, or because of fanaticism. They started to spread around their foolish ideas in the congregation by word and in writing, trying to convince others to do the same. They were admonished by the church, but because of their obstinacy they had to be put out, for they became a threat to internal and external peace." –Stuttgarter Neues Tagblatt, September 26, 1918.

Those disfellowshipped from the Seventh-day Adventist Church, not only in Germany but also in many other countries in Europe, had no intention of starting a new church. They were about 4,000 in number.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

"Even though none of those directly involved are still alive, we ask their descendants and relatives along with the still existing groups of the Reform Movement for forgiveness for our failings..."

That, there... that's how it's done.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit