"this teaching"

by somebody 2 Replies latest watchtower bible

• somebody
    somebody

Hi everybody,

2John 10

"If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching, never receive him into your homes or say a greeting to him."

I know that the "society" uses this scripture to instruct it's members on how to view other members that have been judged and condemmed. (i. e. disfellowshipped) I'm intersted in opinions of what "this teaching" is referring to in the verse.

peace,
    somebody

• Gopher
    Gopher

I'd be happy to "give this a go".

Verse 9 said "Everyone that pushes ahead and does not remain in THE TEACHING OF THE CHRIST does not have God".

Verse 7 defines the opposite of "this teaching", when it says "For many deceivers have gone forth into the world, PERSONS NOT CONFESSING JESUS CHRIST AS COMING IN THE FLESH."

It seems that the teaching has to do with faith in the miracle that the Son of God came from heaven and represented God's interests while here. Pushing ahead would seem to indicate lack of faith in that provision, and urging people to either ignore that or to hope in something else!

• Welshman
    Welshman

Hi guys,
    2 John is one of the more 'doubtful' books of the NT.It was more than likely wriien in the second half of the second century as the literalist christians began to flex their muscles with gnostic christians.
    Remember,it's the victors who write history.....
    In early christianity there was a lot of contraversy over the identity of Jesus and whether the historical personage as developed by the early church really existed.
    The 'historical' gospels are now generally acknowledged to have been written in their present form a lot later than was previously thought.Interestingly,some of the more popular christian books of the 1/2nd century,Gospel of Hebrews,Shepherd of Hermas never made it into the NT..
    Having looked further into the origins of Christianity I am becoming more convinced that the early church pulled a good con job which was completed when christianity became officially endorsed by the Roman Empire.
    An interesting book on the subject was published last year which has a good bibliography..'The Jesus Mysteries'.

Regards Welshman

Edited by - Welshman on 20 March 2001 7:53:6

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit