Remember......

by Mimilly 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Mimilly
    Mimilly

There are SO many people here who have been hurt in various individual ways. They have fought to stay alive, to have self confidence, to sustain when tragedy has struck them, or even, multiple tragedies.

Most of us have come out of the borg - and that in itself takes enormous strength, causes enormous pain, and doubts, confusion and fights with family or shunned by family and trust issues.

We've lost family members, pets that are dear to us, friends by suicide or illness, and worried though episodes regarding children.

Even bad days are voiced. We all share these things, whether we post them or not. Moving probs, money probs, emotional probs, suicidal feelings.

We have stood behind Silentlambs - all the voices brave to speak up, silent no more - freedom for those who've been there, and the numbers are great and collectively rejoiced when it hit the large networks and spanned continents.

Yet we all have come to the aid of such ones. Hugs, kisses, 'email me', 'call me', visits and keep us posted. We've sent money to the father in Calgary who is still trying to find his daughter. This site has saved many lives and hearts because of it's posters and their caring.

It is sad that we are forgetting the enormous good this site does and bickering over whether there are explicit rules to follow. I have read posts referring to the editing and deleting, censorship and lack of a 'rules list' compared to the borg. Actually, it was the borg who put explicit rules down. We are only asked to use common sense. We all have it.

Naebs - you've got incredible wit. Trauma_Hound - you've got a big heart. Moe - you've been through so much and remain resilient. JanH - your articles are educating - informative. I can't think of anyone else right now who was involved in all this. It's just that I think all of you are great people but are missing what you've gained by this site vs what you think you've lost. Naebs - that f...k post was hilarious and I once had the sound file - it was done in documentary style. Had it been put under Jokes with a warning attached, I believe it wouldn't have been deleted. Common sense.

Take your censorship arguements to the political realm in your countries. THAT is where censorship takes place. What you believe in is worthy of fight - but not here, and not over this. Newspapers that are owned by a political party and won't allow 'the other point of view'; universities, the cornerstones of free speach, that were once allowed to teach about the Islamic religion and now are having to drop it due to terrorism - it's deemed unpatriotic. Knowing both sides is what helps us make decisions.

Please remember the good this site has done, and the times when you've been helped or were able to help, even if by a hug. Let's put priorities in perspective. Healthy debates can and do exist - the proof is on the board. You do not need an explicit set of rules to be happy. The majority of us are adults. Let's behave as such.

Common sense rules. There's nothing wrong with that.

hugs and love,

Mimilly

edited by me.

Edited by - Mimilly on 17 August 2002 20:46:19

Edited by - Mimilly on 17 August 2002 20:47:9

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

mimilly you hit the nail on the head, I agree with you and I couldn't have expressed as well as you did. thanks for the reminders. I hate seeing people get hurt, and we do need one another so much. the golden rule is still an exellent rule to use when we are in this forum.

orangefatcat

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Mimily: Excellent points. One minor thought. You noted:

" ... universities, the cornerstones of free speach, that were once allowed to teach about the Islamic religion and now are having to drop it due to terrorism - it's deemed unpatriotic."

Some are going the opposite way, and requiring courses in Islam, some even requiring student to play -act as members of Islam. Yet, any required courses in the Christian faith are prohibited. So, the jury is out on this issue, but you point is well taken. Thanks again.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Common sense rules

This is the whole crux of the matter. We should KNOW what is considered acceptable, and what is unacceptable. We don't need a whole list of rules. Simon's given us guidelines in the past to give us a guide. Common sense will dictate what is considered foul language, and what is abusive.

Great post Mimilly. Many of us here have gone through terrible tragedies and harsh life situations. We don't need to tear each other down. The WTS is doing a good enough job of that. We don't need to give them any assistance.

• AjaxMan
    AjaxMan

Great Post, Mimilly!!!

'nuff said!

Regards and hugs,

Ajax

• Gopher
    Gopher

Mimilly,

That was well-stated! People like you give me reason to remain greatly optimistic about this board's future!

Hugs,

JEFF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit