The people and the tower

by A Paduan 5 Replies latest watchtower bible

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Thought I should post this here too.

The watchtower.

Once there was a man who lived in a village where some villagers kept some of the ancient things. And he always wondered why these villagers had kept the ancient things, because they didn't appear to use them - besides, he thought less of the villagers because of the way they lived - they simply shouldn't have had them he thought.

And it had been said by all that God had a desirable treasure, so he determined that he should have this desirable treasure - deep in his heart he took pride in his efforts, to the point that he could even deserve to acquire the treasure, and he set out to find it by looking in the writings of the ancients.

As he proceeded, he started to come under the spell of the ancient writing, and he started to believe that the ancient things must have been meant for him, of course, and not for the villagers who had wasted what they had - he came to think that the ancient writing spoke of him. Although the secret to the treasure in the spell of God was hidden in plain sight, the spell was very powerful indeed, penetrating the depths of human hearts - able to confuse even the wisest people in the land - it always made the children giggle to see such a wonder right before their eyes.

So he looked at the ancient writing, and not seeing, he made his own stories up; and he looked at the ancient writing and not, seeing he made his own stories up; and he looked at the ancient writing not seeing he made his own stories up!

Now under another spell, he had become so sure of the worthiness of his effort that he made claim he was to receive the treasure of God, and though he had not found the treasure, the idea of the treasure and the stories he made in the spell drove him onward.

Meanwhile other people who had heard about the wonderful treasure heard him going about, and they heard him call, " I have found the way to the treasure. It is over here, so come right now because the time is at hand " Being concerned and even afraid to miss the opportunity they came and listened to his stories of the ancient secrets. As the people listened to the stories that he had made, they agreed how the villagers had been wasteful, and they came also to believe that the wonderful treasure was now as good as theirs.

But time passed and then he died - some became sad from the waiting, but, saving face, his most loyal followers joined together to build a tower from where they could see the wonder coming, or see those who would threaten their beliefs, and also, more others could see and believe them due to their purposeful industriousness - the tower was thought to be such a wonderful accomplishment - the people believed that it was so high that those at the top could even speak to God. And they agreed to hold onto a single language which they could teach to anyone new, with which they put them to work - building at the tower - with tall and hard walls.

Whenever the wonderful treasure seemed lost or far away, followers would tell the new stories from the tower and explain how if the tower was still there and being fortified, so too the treasure must be still coming - as they were under a spell, this seemed to work well enough. But as more promises came and went unfulfilled and the new stories were fanciful and more numerous, the people became more suspicious of the tower, but as they had helped to build it, it was hard for them to know that they were under a spell.

So, unwittingly, they had been trapped in the tower that they had helped to build! Even if they managed to break the spell and escape the tower, how could they get the others out, and undo the spell? Those who had figured it out knew that the way to break the spell was to undo their language, but by now, the builders knew this too, and they were keeping out any other type of language, and hiding any evidence of bad things that were inside - they revered that tower so much because they had built it, and they hated anyone talking badly about it - and especially anyone learning a language that could break the spell.

But unbeknown to most, during all this time, little angels had been sent by God, to confuse their language - and just as suspected, the builders, caring more about their work, had sacrificed them like little lambs. The one language that they spoke could not explain well enough what had happened, and the confusion and disagreement is in the tower - will the tower catch fire and collapse? Who will still be in there?

thepaduan

Edited by - a paduan on 17 August 2002 22:43:57

• dmouse
    dmouse

Some interesting ideas, but, if I may, I'd like to offer a few constructive criticisms?

First of all, what age group is your intended audience? The style of the story seems to be 'fairy tale' style which appeals to ages 4 - 7 but some of the language is more suitable for older children, i.e. unfulfilled, acquire, concerned, purposeful industriousness etc.

Using God in a children's story immediately alerts parent's alarm signals. They will ask themselves what religious denomination this book is attacking or supporting, what religious ideas are being promoted, and is it doing so in an orthodox way (spells = witchcraft)? God is dangerous in childrens' books unless it is specifically used to promote belief in God in an orthodox fashion. I would suggest that you avoid mentioning God at all and instead replace Him with an all-powerful, wise but elusive Wizard.

There are also many difficult analogies to get their heads around, and many things are simply not made clear. Even I found it confusing! For example, what exactly is the treasure? What are the ancient things? What is the spell and what is its purpose? Who is the man and why is he different? Who are the villagers? The whole effect is too general. Try making it more specific, for example an old man who is interested in old things. What are the ancient things and why do the villagers look after them? How about an old library in the village that the old man finds, full of dusty old books that the villagers care for but never read? The books were left by the all-powerful wizard etc.

Maybe the treasure could be an elixir of everlasting life, which the wizard will return to the village but only to those who learn His spells. The problem is of course that the spells are all mixed up and everyone thinks that they have the right solution.

And the ending is obviously not finished.

Hope you don't mind me offering my thoughts on this?

Cheers,

Dean

Edited by - dmouse on 19 August 2002 10:39:11

• Bang
    Bang

It's actually bang Dean - I'm becoming "the paduan" to take on a new role, and a less angry persona. I'm starting to become calmer in regard to my outrage at jwism.

Your input is very much appreciated Dean.

4 - 7 sounds like a good age group up to 10 I think would be advantageous

Fairytale come mystery tale is the intention. A series of short stories might be the go. I'm not sure whether an on going story, or separate stories, or separate but on going would be best; perhaps the latter. I do think that I'd like to make a very short, young audience (3 - 6?) story with illustration playing a strong part.

Do you have any other ideas for God, other than the all-powerful wizard. I think "wizard" is somewhat dumped on by anti-witchcraft paranoia. Elixer of everlasting life sounds good. Ancient things are of course the bible, the man I suppose was Russell, the villagers are the worldly people, the 'people' are the dubs, the spell is jw belief, etc.

Thanks for the input - if you think of anything please say so. I'll write it over again, designed for kiddies and post it - thanks.

Do you know web pages where jw propoganda art is displayed ? Preferably newer stuff. I need to get a feel for it to counteract the art in illustrations.

thepaduan

Edited by - bang on 20 August 2002 4:17:18

• Bang
    Bang

Hey, what about a name for God? Jah-something or other Too obvious?

bang, thepaduan

Edited by - bang on 20 August 2002 4:18:24

• dmouse
    dmouse

Oh hiya bang...

Well, it's extremely complicated to write stories for children, many good authors of adult books have tried it and given up!

I think you have to have just one main moral, or theme, in a children's book. Religious themes can be tackled without resorting to obvious characters. Remember C.S.Lewis' 'The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe'? One of the main characters was Aslan, a lion that represented Jesus. Lewis was a Christian and he saw no problem in creating fictitious characters to represent Christian ideas.

Not all characters in a story need to have an exact parallel to the WBTS! Keep the main idea simple but add depth to your characters! Let the children know what they are like, explicitly or implicitly.

Main ideas/themes could include:

Beware anyone who says only he knows the truth.

Letting other people control what you think can be dangerous.

How people can be persuaded to do bad things by being in a group - the bad things can be made to look good. (disfellowshipping?)

Such ideas cannot be argued against and should not trigger JW mind-alarms, when their children read the story.

Adult JWs are too arrogant to recognise their own hypocrisy, but children aren't, so a good children's story may sow the seeds for future reevaluation of their beliefs when they are asked to conform to parameters they know in their heart to be wrong.

If you don't want to get too real (witchcraft) why not create a completely fictitious fantasy world inhabited by Tolkeinesque type creatures? Should be fairly safe. You can then call the characters anything you like, it's how they tell the moral that counts.

Of course this is all just MHO! Hope this helps and doesn't just make you give up!

• cellomould
    cellomould

Yes, I enjoyed the analogy very much until about halfway...that is when the analogy ended and the audience was led to the conclusion. But I think that the comparison to the Tower of Babel is quite interesting and quite unexpected!

Keep the mystery going!

cellmould

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit