Australian journalists investigating abuse

by Joel-ABC-730 18 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Joel, please post your inquiry on this Forum as well:

http://exjehovahswitnessforum.yuku.com/

Andriasyxx is a forum moderator there who volunteers to help victims of abuse in the Australian court system. She may be able to help you. I'll message her to alert her to look for your post.

• Tazemanian-devil
    Tazemanian-devil

There are several Australian users at the ex JW subreddit (link).

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Joel-ABC, some advice; do your homework.

Always have proof on hand of things they've said recently in print and verbally, particularly because the two will often conflict.

Learn the JW language; WT reps will use weasel-words and misdirection. As said before, have proof and call them on the bullshit.

Here's a good question if you manage to get a WT rep on camera: "does the Governing Body / Watchtower Society feel that religions who fail to comply with state requirements for the protection of children should have their tax-exempt status come under review?"

• iwasblind
    iwasblind

Hi Joel

Unfortunately there are thousands (my estimate) of victims that will never speak about this or assign blame to the failure of the WT policies - because they are afraid to be disfellowshipped.

I myself am an active Witness elder in Australia and could not risk being cutoff by the religion, family and friends by appearing on camera to talk about their policies that protect predators (that I don't agree with). When I am free from this cult, I would happily talk but it is a long journey out of here.

I have a relative and good friend that have been abused within the congregation, and even though I gently try to ask about whether the elders knew their attacker was a pedophile before their attack - they don't know or want to know.

The other sad thing is that a huge majority of witnesses who need to see your expose will not even look at the program because it is talking against the "men appointed by Jesus" who put these policies together.

I have been hoping this would hit Australia - so please please please keep going with it.

Another story is the human rights violation many on this forum are victims of. The WT claim people are free to leave, they claim that shunning does not happen but there are countless articles that advise parents not to speak to their children who have been disfellowshipped.

I myself have a relative who avoids me like the plague because I got into a Bible discussion with them and asks questions about scriptures that were contrary to what the WT preaches.

Many on this forum attend the meetings and are really like hostages held against their will because they don't want to be cut off.

There are many references to the WT teaching on the forum but here are some interesting articles:

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w20150415/disfellowshipping-a-loving-provision/

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/books/gods-love/disfellowshipped-person/

• OzGirl
    OzGirl

Hi Joel

Another point to be aware of - take note of how a WT representative might use the word "minister"

In JW land, the word "minister" has a different meaning than that used in the secular world.

In the secular world, "minister" means someone who is a pastor in a church.

In JW land, all members who are baptised (and this includes young children) are told at their baptism ceremony, that they are now "ordained ministers of Jehovah God."

In JW land, the people who have oversight roles in the congregation are called "elders" and they would be the equivalent of a pastor.

• Mattieu
    Mattieu
    Just sent you a PM Joel....
  • Lemonp
    Lemonp

Hey there Joel.

It would be enlightening to read a copy of the "Shepherd the Flock" book. It is a secret book that only Elders (the leading men in congregations) get. Also known as a KS10. Linked here

There are PDF downloads of it online and it has sections relating to anything a JW could do wrong; including child abuse.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Dear Joel,

i wish you all the best with this. There are some factors you need to take into account.

Firstly, the only people you will be able to get to talk to you and say anything critical about the WTS will be those that are out of the organisation. The WTS will do anything to discredit their testimony. On top of that any critical comment is branded apostate lies and the vast majority of those inside the organisation will do the equivalent of stick their fingers in their ears and shout "we can't hear you".

If the WTS do condescend to talk to you they will send a PR and media trained lackey who will be the master of spin and double speak. The WTS position on their child abuse policy is that it is 100% sound, anyone can go to the authorities and the Congregation never has systematically covered anything up.

They will spin the term "minister". They will discredit their own members who have committed abuse. They will flip flop between statements about the top down "follow my leader" nature of the organisation and the apparent personal nature of an individual's responsibilities and accountability in the organisation.

They will never engage in any kind of open or productive spirit. They will never admit any organisational responsibility. They will hang the minions out to dry.

I would suggest lurking on a certain JW friendly forum and checking out the statements about those that have stood up to the WTS on this matter. PM me for details on how to get full access.

i would also suggest getting in touch with lawyers who have spent a lot of time fighting the WTS in court on behalf of anise victims to get more details on the "theocratic warfare" strategies that will be used against you.

I would encourage you to become an expert in what objections might be thrown up to discredit ones you may use and don't be afraid to confront these head on. For example the current favourite is to sling mud at the victim or the parents for not going to the authorities. The passive-aggressive, socio-cultural pressures put on people over the years to not have the org dragged through the mud are immense and completely swept under the carpet.

You are taking on one of the most sneaky, self-serving and deceptive organisations possible with this. Except every thing a victim claims to be ripped to shreds and plan accordingly.

Best of luck!

• zeb
    zeb

CoH "..have some skeletons in the closet."

There have been a few times at conventions when I thought the same as a speaker ranted on leaving me thinking the line from Shakespeare that "This man doth protesteth too much".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit