Emotional Turmoil of JW Abuse Survivors

by Victor_E 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Victor_E
    Victor_E

When I ran from feelings that were starting to come up, I allowed them to build up and become more potent until they burst out and spilled all over me and everybody around me. A Survivor

In the JW religion feelings are repressed and denied as something illogical and messy. The whole epistemology of the religion is built on rational logic. To quote Bernie Siegel MD, If you rely solely on logic you become pathological, and in many aspects to abuse survivors the JW religion becomes very pathological stifling their recovery. Most of the concepts of Christianity have been reduced to hundreds of written spoken and unspoken rules and regulations.

JS was a middle aged elders wife who struggled with constant depression. She would miss many meetings and when she attended she did not look well physically. In the congregation she was viewed as an paradox due to not being an exemplary elders wife who could put in a lot of field service time but didnt. We all knew there was something wrong with her but it was one of those things you dont talk about. As you may have guessed JS was an abuse survivor who needed professional psychological help. Her elder husband was untrained unskilled and powerless to help her. He tried buying her a house in the country, sending her on expensive shopping sprees, and even taking her on exotic vacations all to no avail. He was caught in a double bind that would become very costly. He was damned if he took her to get psychotherapy since this was something to be avoided as instructed by the society and he endured his own turmoil from seeing his wife suffer silently behind closed doors. In time he could no longer take her perpetual states of depression and he began to focus on himself. He stayed more and more away from her finding refuge in his business. One day he came home and found her dead, she had taken a gun to her head and killed herself. JS is a portrait of the JW abuse survivor in that they suffer perpetually with no voice to tell their story and with little to no avenues for healing from their traumas. In general the congregations have become a very dysfunctional family with many patterns of a tyrannical paternalistic family.

DF is and elders wife who also suffers from deep depression and as JS lives in a perpetual prison of logic. Since her depression is in part hereditary she will live with it for the rest of her life. Since her condition is organic she has the congregational approval to get medication, but even this venue is limited in allowing her to have a functional life. Her choice is to either be sedated and sleep or live in an emotional mine field at home. This of course has taken a toll on her teenage daughter who has her own emotional and adolescent problems, running away from home and eventually being dfed.

LS used to be a pioneer till one day she got into trouble for smoking and getting drunk. At age 40, her repressed memories from childhood sexual abuse bloomed as flashbacks. She had enough common sense not to go to the elders and she turned to her best friend for help who was also an incest survivor. Prior to being recruited into JWs she had led a very promiscuous life as a rock band groupie doing drugs. Her husband a musician was killed in an accident and she was left with two little children to raise. The JWs became her surrogate family and support group to help her deal with all her emotional issues she carried with her. Since a pioneer recruited her she got talked into becoming one and of course this became a regimented life for her. In time she struggled with issues that no one could help her with. She suffered from constant fatigue and feelings of worthlessness and emptiness. The religion could no longer ameliorate her feelings with all its neatly packaged answers. When she turned to the elders for help they just gave her their canned answers to wait on Jehovah and do more in service and attend all meetings.

The stories are countless and each congregation has members needing professional help. Having attended KM schools we were merely trained in how to follow policies and procedures. We were warned and even threatened that if we would take any kind of special training on our own we would lose our positions.

If you want total security, go to prison. There you are fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking is freedom. D Eisenhower

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Thanks Jesika, hopefully someone from the Borg will read these reports and get their eyes opened. I would hold my breath until that happens, but I want to live a little longer.

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

I have a niece who describes herself as Bi Polar and is constantly popping pills and going from medication to medication because it only works for so long........

Do I dare show her this article? Shes been raised as a JW and has been DFS several times for different things. Shes been stiffled all her life by this book publishing co disguised as a religion. She refuses to go to the meetings but loves her family who are devout JWs.......I feel so bad for her ...and helpless too.

any comments?

Sunny

• Victor_E
    Victor_E
    Do I dare show her this article? Shes been raised as a JW and has been DFS several times for different things. Shes been stiffled all her life by this book publishing co disguised as a religion. She refuses to go to the meetings but loves her family who are devout JWs.......I feel so bad for her ...and helpless too.

This article is not really for her, I will write one when I have the time, that fits her more. I invite you to go to these articles I wrote years ago in the meantime that may help her.

http://www.jwfiles.com/recovery.htm

and

http://www.jwfiles.com/ten-step.htm

• Victor_E
    Victor_E

Long time no see, how ya doing? Glad to see you posting here.

Always enjoyed what you had to say.

Hi Jim,

It's been at least 5 yrs since I last heard of you and your brother on Jes Wit and Philia. As you can attest I'm sure our inner demons drive us to help those who are just coming out of the darkness of the Watchtower. I am doing great as you can see from my posts now older and wiser and kinder. We are all work in progress with a story to tell. Thanks for your words I also enjoyed your posts....ah those were the days.

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

Thank you Victor

Sunny

• QUEENIE
    QUEENIE

CALIFORNIA SUNSHINE, et al.. QUEENIE here -- I have physical problems that I will have to cope with and do not think I do not suffer from depression on a daily basis XJW or not--not attending meetings and going door to door is a great big help coping with depression BELIEVE U ME and no one took me on a cruise / built me a house on the beach and or sent me on a shopping spree though I am open to accept offers just out of agape love..RIGHT now the biggest thing I have to deal with is being diabetic and constant blisTers on both legs -- pills / SALVE / and wrapping with gauze once a day and by the way PAIN...LISA her main physical problem is dealing with LUPUS nope life is not A bowl full of cherries...tomorrow we hope we will be up to going to the picture show __ wish us luck in making it and having fun too....((((hugs))))) queenie and crew XOXOXO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit