camping information.

by James Brown 34 Replies latest jw friends

• James Brown
    James Brown

I don't believe I am paranoid.

I believe I am experienced. That is why I explored carrying a gun.

Back in the 80's while I was in the police academy, on break I drove to Washington D.C. to see the nations capital.

I knew they had some of the strictest gun laws in the country and that I probably should not even have a gun in my vehicle. But I had my smith and Wesson 38 policemen's special in a box with the bullets out of it.

We were driving over the Potomac river. My wife was videotaping the river. The traffic slowed down.. In those days video cameras were big and bulky maybe a foot and a half long by 8 inches. They were very visible.

The traffic slowed down because 2 fellows were out of their vehicles fighting and one of the fellows had a gun in the other fellows face.

As we passed my wife was videotaping, not the 2 guys in the altercation but the Potomac river.

The next thing I know the fellow with the gun was chasing me.

He chassed me all over Washington D.C. I would loose him and he would be at the next intersection.

I would loose him and he would catch me again.

It was cat and mouse. No cell phones in those days, no way to call for help.

I lost him again.

I was scared for my life. I told my wife to take the gun out of the glove box, put the bullets in it and hand it too me.

I was not going to shoot first but I was going to have my gun out and visible if he started waving his at me. And if he shot at me I was going to shoot back.

Once I got the gun out and loaded we pulled up in front of the Smithsonian and went in and hid.

I told the police once I got in the Smithsonian. You all know what they did for me.

Nothing.

But when I came out of the Smithsonian, I had a parking ticket on my vehicle.

That is one reason. I want to carry a gun while exploring.

The most dangerous animal. Humans.

We always used to say in police work you don't take a knife or a bat or pepper spray or even a tazzer to a gun fight.

• Giordano
    Giordano

James sharing your experiences on a road trip would be excellent.

John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley may be of interest to you. It's a fine read. Here's a good honest review.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RF4D2YA1P0R05/ref=cm_cr_pr_viewpnt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0140053204#RF4D2YA1P0R05

• James Brown
    James Brown

Giordano. I read it. Thanks.

I have read many road trip stories starting with Jack Kerouac, Charles Kuralt. I even read a number of books about a guy who attempted to walk across the USA with his dog, Peter Jenkins. I love good traveling books.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Yeah, the DC area is a miserable place to travel. It's got the worst traffic, only behind NYC and LA. Drivers get pissed off and have been known to threaten others with weapons.

The problem is the driving culture between Virginia and Maryland. In Virginia, you'll get pulled over for going 3 miles over the speed limit. Virginia cops are everywhere and will pull you over for anything. Therefore, traffic runs slow.

Maryland traffic is fast! Cops will not pull you over until you are doing at least 10 mph over the speed limit because judges will throw out anything less than that. So, traffic travels at about 10 mph over the speed limit. Never drive less than the speed limit in Maryland or people will get extremely pissed off. The traffic is horrible and people want to get home from their long commutes, so, people can get aggressive if you get in their way.

Though it is just south of the Mason-Dixon line, Maryland was a union state in the civil war, so, even 150 years later, culturally, Maryland is a northern state and there is a difference from southern culture starting right around DC, specifically, that the speed of life is FAST! People drive faster, talk faster and you're expected to work faster! Don't hold people up in the drive-thru, either, because those workers are supposed to get you in and out in a certain number of seconds! New York is even worse. The north is not for sissies!

Good luck on your trip. It sounds like a retirement dream!

• James Brown
    James Brown

After reading everyone's responses and researching further on the net.

I will not be taking a gun on my adventures.

It seems like to much hassle and to much likely hood of me going to jail.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit