camping information.

by James Brown 34 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

I'm a gun enthusiast, hunter and recreational shooter yet I cannot grasp this need to carry a firearm with you.

The squirrels in Wisconsin can be downright aggressive.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Here's a good site: http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/gun-travel-transporting-firearm-united-states/

"In short, the states to watch out for while you are passing through who have strict firearm transportation regulations are Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island."

Looks like the North East could be a problem. Everywhere else kept unloaded and locked in the trunk will usually be ok.

• cantleave
    cantleave
    Why would you want to bring a hand gun into Canada? It's not a nation of gun loving idiots like the USA.
  • James Brown
    James Brown

Marmot. Do you mean the safe at home in Florida?

Or do you mean the safe in the camper?

I am not looking to carry a gun on my travels.

I would like to have a gun or shotgun in my camper at night.

I think that might be a problem.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Something to consider....

Many places have license plate scanners. They will know you have a concealed carry permit. Some places they will pull you over and mess with you just because of the permit. Be careful.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Thank you, Little Socrates.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

I am happy for you, that you can do such a great trip.

But why the heck do you need a firearm? For protection from what? Mean grizzly bears, hungry wolves or monster squirrels who want to eat you alive? Psychopathic murderers or desperate housewives chasing you on the campground?

Leave your gun at home and enjoy nature, wildlife and great people without a paranoid fear or need of protecting yourself with a gun.

And by the way, a gun is no protection at all, it is even a greater risk of getting hurt or hurting someone else.

I travelled the whole world and did so by camping too (especially us and canada). I never felt unsafe.

As a swiss citizen like most of my countrymen I don't understand anyway that many americans are so obsessed with their weapons. And then I hear again news reports of toddlers shooting themselves or their mummy because they played with a gun.

Anyway, all the best for your trip.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Daniel, I appreciate your post.

I am a little paranoid. I am a former deputy sheriff.

It comes with the territory.

According to my information the Swiss are more obsessed with their guns than Americans.

http://www.huppi.com/kangaroo/L-switzerland.htm

Human Events's photo.

• James Brown
    James Brown

Daniel.

I generally do not feel unsafe in my element.

In the city on the beaten path.

When I was young I did some traveling and camping, I was never scared or fearful.

Now at 63, I am a little more cautious.

I have guns and permits because I was a sheriff. But I do not consider myself a gun person.

I don't enjoy or marvel at guns.

Maybe I have locked up too many bad guys, read too many police reports and seen to many police TV shows and movies.

I am not as paranoid as other cops I know who carry 3 or 4 guns at a time; back ups to back ups and throw downs.

And in their homes they have guns hidden in many places to always have a way out or be one step ahead of the bad guy.

• Daniel1555
    Daniel1555

I know that after the last shooting in a church in charlston, there were media reports which stated that swiss love their arms and many have a gun.

That's just false.

All soldiers can keep their military rifle at home (without ammunition). Even that creates controversy.

True is that we have low criminality. Contributing to that is that in general swiss don't have and use arms at home even though the law is maybe not so strict.

If I let for example my little boy play with a toy gun, most parents on the playground would be mad at me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit