Wake up call!

by restorebeauty 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• restorebeauty
    restorebeauty

What was the defining moment in your life when you said, enough is enough. I can't/dont'/won't believe this anymore.

• SYN
    SYN

One Sunday, after Field Service. See this.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

When I carefully read a dissertation by a witness (Friend, who sometimes post on this forum) that debunked the JW policy on blood transfusion.... when I realised that the policy is unbiblical, and therefore immoral from a bible based perspective. It's funny, cuz now I don't assign even the tiniest fraction of authority to the bible, but 2 years ago, I certainly did. Now I know it's just an immoral policy from any standard of morality.

It took about 2 days of reading the aforementioned dissertation, and subsequently all the other honest criticisms of the blood policy, and my life of 36 years was changed completely. I knew I would never consider myself a Jehovah's witness again.

• dmouse
    dmouse

Funnily enough I can remember the exact moment when I stopped believing in God.

It happened about 15 years ago. I was reading a newspaper about a baby that starved to death because his mother was too ill herself to care for him. The police conducted an autopsy and the only thing in the child's stomach was bits of its own nappy (diaper). I closed the paper then and knew that there was no God of love. It was, as they say, the straw that broke the camel's back.

What followed was several months of depression as I tried to come to terms with reality. It was a big shock to realise that I wasn't going to live forever and there was no magic answer to the world's problems.

I wish I could go back to that state of blissful ignorance of being a JW but I can't, unless I develop amnesia...

• outnfree
    outnfree

It wasn't the blood issue, although I had problems with that.

It wasn't the dishonest Bible translation, I had already written Brooklyn on that.

It wasn't even the change in the "generation" teaching, although I had BIG problems with that.

Nope.

When in a response to a plea that the elders go visit my DF'd girlfriend who was nearly dead in ICU (because I couldn't according to WT rules, and they could) I was met with this remark:

"Why ever would we?"

It took me several months more to make my exit, but I knew completely and without a doubt that that was NOT what Jesus would have done in that situation.

Heartless bastards!

out

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I had been inactive for years, but still believing that the JWs were right, and still trying to get myself reactivated.

Finally, my husband and I were well on our way back to dubdum, when he began asking WAY too many questions of the elders studying with us because he had gotten baptized without really understanding the implications (he wanted to date me, and he knew I wouldn't go out with him unless he was baptized). He really wanted to understand totally and make a definite commitment.

The elders interpreted this as trying to cause trouble, and they began looking for some way to get rid of him. They noticed an empty ashtray on the coffee table and asked my husband if he was smoking, to which he replied in the affirmative.

They gave him 30 days to quit or be disfellowshipped. When he couldn't meet the deadline, he was called to a JC. This was also the turning point for me, since during this whole process, the elders engaged in much hypocrisy and told many lies.

After they pronounced my husband disfellowshipped, I was discussing the matter with one of the elders in the parking lot of the Kingdom Hall. Without even batting an eye, he contradicted himself several times, and told several outright lies in the space of a few minutes.

At that point, I could finally see the truth behind the "truth", and I never went back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit