- We know the WT interpretation of Matt 25:40 is support of the Anointed. Since most of us here are no longer in that situation, what, if any forms of charity are you involved in? Sorry for the awkward framing of the question, it's not meant to imply Atheists, or non-christians are not charitable!
I think you ask good question and you hit on a profoundly human need to help each other. Since I have left the JWs, I work with a number of charities for health, justice, and a better planet. One of the best times I had was serving food in the local shelter during Christmas. We are wired to do good beyond what any religion and scripture prescribes.
However, if you are looking to help and don't know where to start, act locally. There are lots of people around your vicinity that need food and services. In addition, the so called "worldly people" have a better handle on what things to contribute to than most JWs. Asking the people around you is a good place to start.
One thing I realized when you leave and want to help is that the problems in the world can seem overwhelming and makes it hard to know where to start. Start locally, simply, and do a small thing every day.
On a side note, one of the things I have been working on in my spare time (for fun) is to develop a set of heuristics that will help evaluate what people care about (via a simple guided questionnaire) and match them to a charity. I think, people want to help but are often overwhelmed. Also, I have also changed my investments so that I support companies that improve the world and/or have strong socially conscious policies, even if it means a loss to my bottom line. Act locally. Think globally.
- Thank you! That's the input i'm looking for!
My pleasure. And, one thing that helps is listen to what makes you angry. Anger is a valuable emotion because it often tells the truth and motivates change. What makes you angry tells you what you fight for and needs to be fixed.
I think one of the saddest things is to think about all the energy and resources being spent on door-to-door and other non-sense work. Can you imagine if every Saturdays or Sundays, they would go out to their communities build houses for the homeless, and feed the hungry, and clothe the poor? If JWs wanted to give the best all-time witness ever, that's what they would do. Can you imagine what the world would say? The GB has no imagination.
I contribute to cancer research whenever approached, be it at my work place or in the street.
Many JWs contribute at the personal level to different causes.
- WWF, UNICEF, Save the Children. I give very small amounts but it's the regularity that's important. Also a member of Amnesty International which is not strictly a charity but has a charitable section. I've sometimes emailed or written to national leaders about prisoners of conscience.
- I have cut an ad out of the newspaper about the donkeys and hope to send a donation soon.
- I help with the local food bank and an organization that empowers young girls. Feels much more fulfilling than door knocking with useless mags.
I think one of the saddest things is to think about all the energy and resources being spent on door-to-door and other non-sense work. Can you imagine if every Saturdays or Sundays, they would go out to their communities build houses for the homeless, and feed the hungry, and clothe the poor?
Amen to that! Jesus fed the hungry, took up collection, and encouraged his followers to help the poor. Try eating a Watchtower, not much nutrition! From what I can see from the WT it's all about image = members = donations. If you are not a prospective recruit, it's "Go in peace, keep warm and well fed"
Thanks for your post. As we were awakening we noticed right through the greek scriptures it refers to helping the poor. Even when Jesus appointed Paul to do the preaching work he said "only don't forget the poor". Then we realized that the Borg gives nothing to anyone. Even the tele-evangelists whom they run down give millions to charity.
We realized we don't contribute at all to anything. So we stopped donating and now are supporting some charities, but also give to any genuine charity who knocks on our door also.