Do the English dislike the Welsh (vice versa)!!!

by haujobbz 8 Replies latest jw friends

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

Since living in wales, for years iv beeen told how the english hate welsh and vice versa,so whats all this about anyway is it some kind of ancestry thing,i mean i dont find anything wrong with the english and try to get on with most.What is it that english and the welsh dont like about each other.Im confused!!!!!!!

• smiler
    smiler

i thought is was more like the welsh dont like the english because we invaded the mainland and pushed all the celts into corners.

however the english dont like the welsh speaking welsh when they visit wales although from having welsh friends this is the way they speak all the time epesially in the north of wales and not to just spite the english

welsh friends do admit however that sometimes degrading comments are made to/about english in welsh eg in pubs etc and they are ashamed of this

• haujobbz
    haujobbz

But iv never really liked the welsh language (no offense to the welsh speakers),also thanks for the tip on the celt thing i didnt know that happened,Should of payed more attention in history classes?

• Celtic
    Celtic

Loves the Welsh, but them there emmets, hell, except in WSM of course.

Celtic Mark - Cornwall UK

• ballistic
    ballistic

Just got back from camping in North Wales. Liked to hear the variety in language, though everywhere we read a Welsh word, it was duplicated in English which seems like a huge waste.

Didn't know the Welsh had anything against us, I got more of an impression of that when I visited the less tourist oriented valleys in the south of Wales where obviously less of their income is generated by English folk.

I suppose to our US friends, the idea of any animosity in 2 such small countries must seem quite strange.

• kat7302
    kat7302

How can you not like the Welsh Language? Its beautiful...yep Im welsh and proud

And I hate the English! Nah, only kidding!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

The English hate the Welsh because they are jealous of their velvety singing voices. The Welsh hate the English because the Brits get to write all the songs and the Welsh cannot pronounce the lyrics. For example, 'Men Of Harlech' was originally entitled "Sod off Foul Zulu', but who would have guessed?

What we all need to resolve the problem is Shirley Bassey in Parliament.

Its all a musical thing - HS

Edited by - hillary_step on 8 August 2002 21:21:11

• Derrick
    Derrick

You've heard the old British saying "to welsh on a bet" which typically means "to dishonour a bet"?

Why the Welsh have an historical reputation of dishonour in Great Britain is beyond me. Besides, the Welsh seem like very nice folks.

Derrick

• Princess
    Princess

I haven't been to either country yet but I did give my son a Welsh name. (Rhys) Confuses everyone here in the US. No one gets it right the first time. He gets called Riz, Rise and you there. I could have "Americanized" the spelling to Reece but that is so...American. It's a great name for a cute little boy with bright red hair and he loves it.

Rachel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit