NWT Question

by glitter 3 Replies latest watchtower bible

• glitter
    glitter

A couple of years ago I got into an conversation with a pioneer about Bible translations, I said that the NWT is an American translation (I didn't think this was such a controversial statement!) and she jumped down my throat about it!

I said "But it's called the New World Translation, and "New World" is what Europeans used to call North America" and she said "No, it's the New-World Translation - because it's for Jehovah's Witnesses and we will get through to the New System" and while I was trying to reason with her she also said it was a "New World-Translation, it's a new translation for all the world".

Has anybody else met somebody who thought this? Or is she just especially stupid? Or am I...? :)

glitter

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

I've never heard this. But I believe that it is called the new world translation because of the witnesses belief of a literal "new world", a paradise replacing this world.

• Bang
    Bang

I don't think it matters - it's not really the bible.

bang

• Sangdigger
    Sangdigger

Yeah, ive never heard that line before, but i think Random task has got it right. While any translation is Gods word, NWT is famous for twisting key doctrinal passages. Numerous posts have been made regarding this. I think my favorite one is Phillipians 2:6 NWT--"Who, although he was existing in Gods form, gave no consideration to a SEIZURE, namely, that he should be equal with God."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit