How did I miss this????

by Mulan 6 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Mulan
    Mulan

In scanning our local newspaper online, for articles about the dubs, I found this one from 3 years ago. Pretty darned funny!! Notice how many are from the JW's and others linked to them.

A short list of dire predictions

Tuesday, December 28, 1999

By D. PARVAZ
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

This new millennium thing isn't the first time some people thought the world was going to end. History is littered with failed prophecies and false alarms.

Here's a short list from the past 1,000 years:

999: Christians aware of the calendar count that began with the birth of Jesus believe the Second Coming will occur at the end of the first millennium.

March 21, 1843, to March 21, 1844: Led by William Miller, the Millerites, a sect of more than 50,000 based mostly in Massachusetts and New York, abandon their material possessions and take to the hills, where they wait for the world to end.

1844: Again the Millerites wait for Armageddon. Miller sets the date as Oct. 22. The apocalpytic no-show is dubbed "The Great Disappointment."

1891: In 1835, Mormon leader Joseph Smith predicted the Coming of the Lord 56 years later.

1914: Jehovah's Witnesses (an offshoot of the Seventh-Day Adventists, who are an offshoot of the Millerites) await the Second Coming. They believe Christ returned in 1884 but chose to remain invisible.

April 22, 1959: In Texas, the Branch Davidians believe they will be killed and resurrected.

1975: Word of the impending apocalypse spreads through the Jehovah's Witness membership, though the church never confirms the prediction.

1984: The Jehovah's Witnesses suffer another unfulfilled prophecy of doom.

Oct. 2, 1985: The Jesus of Burien (a k a William E. Peterson) claims Armageddon came on this day and he is already well into his reign as Christ returned.

April 19, 1993: The Branch Davidians, now led by David Koresh, think the world will end this year. The cult's standoff with government agents ends in a fiery tragedy, resulting in 80 deaths.

March 26, 1997: The Heaven's Gate cult carries out a mass suicide. The 39 members believe that hidden in the tail of comet Hale-Bopp is some sort of self-aware life form coming to prepare us for what they call a "galactic evolution."

Oct. 23, 1997: Archbishop Ussher, a 17th-century archbishop of Armagh in Ireland, calculated that God created the world on Oct. 23, 4004 B.C., and that the end of the world would come on this date 6,000 years later.

March 31, 1998: A Taiwanese UFO cult, Chen Tao, anticipates God's return -- in human form -- in Garland, Texas. The leader, Hon-Ming Chen, claims the Lord's return will set off a series of events leading to the world's end in August 1999.

September 1999: Nostradamus' prophecies include a meteor hitting the Earth sometime this month, -- according to those who translated his predictions to our current calendar -- setting off a chain of disasters (earthquakes, hurricanes, famine, etc.) leading to the end of the world.

September 1999: Shoko Asahara, leader of the Japanese Aum Shinrikyo cult, predicts the world's end this month.

• Prisca
    Prisca

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting this Mulan.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

I think more people are at least SOMEWHAT aware of the JW's fanaticism and prior record of false predictions then we give the general non-JW public credit for.

After all, why else would JW's become the butt of so many jokes?

Thank you for posting the article Mulan. Since I have been on this board, you've always been a sweetheart.

• avengers
    avengers
    1914: Jehovah's Witnesses (an offshoot of the Seventh-Day Adventists, who are an offshoot of the Millerites) await the Second Coming. They believe Christ returned in 1884 but chose to remain invisible
    1975: Word of the impending apocalypse spreads through the Jehovah's Witness membership, though the church never confirms the prediction.

Hi Mulan. Thanks for the info. If they never confirmed the prediction, then who came up with 1975? Me????????? haha

Bible prophecy shows that six thousand years of man's existence will soon be up, yes, within this generation
    In what year, then, would the first 6,000 years of man's existence and also the first 6,000 years of God's rest day come to an end? The year 1975. This is worthy of notice, particularly in view of the fact that the 'last days' began in 1914, and that the physical facts of our day in fulfillment of prophecy mark this as the last generation of this wicked world. So we can expect the immediate future to be filled with thrilling events for those who rest their faith in God and his promises. It means that within relatively few years we will witness the fulfillment of the remaining prophecies that have to do with the 'time of the end.'" {AWAK Oct 8 1966 19-20}It may involve only a difference of weeks or months, not years..

I experienced the whole issue.The "church" can deny anything they want. I heard and read and studied every word they said about 1975. 6000 years since Adam's creation ended in Oct. 1975 according to them. Armageddon would follow within a few weeks or months, not years.

• Cath
    Cath

The issue of the world ending in 1975 brings to mind THE most embarrassing memory of my time in the borg apart from the public reproof and df'ing of course.

I was in my first year of high school and you know what teenagers are like, they just love a target.

Welllll..... my dear dear father - god bless him - made a huge sign up to sit on the top of the '57 chevie he owned, which I might add was the only one of its kind in our SMALL home town, and the sign read

"WHO IS GOING TO CONQUER THE WORLD IN 1975"

with some blurb after it, can't remember what the rest of it was. Well do you think we didn't cop s&%@t ? Damn right we did. He drove around with that ridiculous sign for almost a year LOL.

I can laugh about it now but I remember wanting armaggedon to come sooner or the earth to open and swallow me up whichever came sooner. Did anyone elses olds do this?

Thanks for the memories Mulan.

• COMF
    COMF

They completely ignored the real second coming of Christ, as a gay dude living in a dumpster, in 1992.

• sunshineToo
    sunshineToo

There was a Korean sect who prophesied that the rapture was going to occur in 1992. I heard and read that people quit their jobs, schools, and even left their families to be ready for their rapture ( in another words "to be memebers" of the church). When the time came ( I can't remember exact date) in October, 1992, they gathered in the biggest square in Korea, and of course, the news media was there, too. There were thousands of people. And yes, nothing happened. Following morning mobs of angry people were everywhere to find the sect leader. He was found in a nearby mountain later. He said, "I'm sorry" in the news camera.

Hmm...was the WTS's attitude as humble as that cult leader?

Anyway after all that riot, still there were people who went back to the same church.

Kinda like Deja vu to 1975, huh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit