Jehovahs Witnesses to pay 6 figure sum to sex abuse victim. UK.

by The Scotsman 41 Replies latest jw friends

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33201010

Story just broke in UK!!!!

A woman who claimed Jehovah's Witness elders failed to protect her from sex abuse carried out by a convicted paedophile has won a six-figure payout

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I hope it holds up under appeal!
  • Driving Force
    Driving Force

This may open the way for further cases.

Absolutely great.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    It's about time. I wonder how the gluttonous body worshippers in the UK will counter this?
  • Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    Great news. Along with the Charity Commission case things are moving on.
  • Mephis
    Mephis
    Waiting on reading judgement, but BBC hinting that the judge ruled on this because they took no measures to protect children in spite of knowing the man was a pedophile. This was something raised as an ongoing concern in the Moston case by the tribunal hearing the WBTS' appeal earlier this year.
    Thoughts with this brave woman.
  • The Scotsman
    The Scotsman
    I have to say I think this is great news. Hopefully start a flood of cases that deserve justice.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

How long...ooops italics..lemme see.....ah, that's better. Now, where was I?

what was I saying? Oh, yeah, I remember....

How long before the WBT$ make the elders personally responsible for being sued rather than the gluttonous body and their corporations? I wonder how they could do that and still manage to keep elders from stepping down(TM) before they get envagled in a court case? Is it possible? What I mean is, the gluttonous peadophile protecting body makes each elder responsible for court action rather than their fat overfed selves? Having done this, would there be a load of elders say, 'blimey, guv, I ain't having this. I'm orf!' ?? Thinking out loud! I'll shut up now.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Sounds familiar! The first case of its kind un uk against a christian group. I wonder if they consider catholics christian or if they have so few left that its not been an issue there with that group. In any case they set precedent.

There is no clerical/confessional privilege in the UK btw. I think that went out around the same time as they invented priest holes when CATHOLICS were the ones being persecuted.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

The updated version is still on the link. Worth a butchers!

Kathleen Hallisey, lawyer at AO Advocates, said: "This should be a wake-up call to the Jehovah's Witness organisation that they need to implement better child safeguarding policies that are in line with modern day knowledge about child safeguarding and sexual abuse.
    "And I also hope that it's a wake-up call to members of the organisation that child sexual abuse is a problem within the organisation and it's something that they need to do something about."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit