Humor & Sarcasm

by adonoyechod 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• adonoyechod
    adonoyechod

In Ref To The Article about the NWT having clarity of language: Great Post!

Still I fear that there are many other verses out there that are so taken out of their context. Of course we don't all have to be Greek Scholars or Hebrew Scholars to know that there is something so very wrong with, "You have greased my head" and while a verse like this can and should be considered Peripheral material, in the sense that it has nothing to do with their salvation, there are verses in the NWT that merit, not our laughter, but our serious consideration in light of the fact that they rely so heavily on these false interpretations and alterations of Holy Scriptures, thus the veil over their eyes. I know that many JW's out there don't like us because of what we do. Our motivation is often questioned and our postings are often met with hostility and contempt. We are not going to be liked or admired for what we do and sometimes we have to run the risk of being hated by those we are trying to reach. That is an occupational hazard and we accept that. But let us never forget that our purpose for being here is to win the lost and not the argument. Recently someone responded to something I posted regarding the Light Gets Brighter This is what he responded: Adonoy, excellent! I can't count the number of times I have myself used Prov 4:18 to explain the "advancing light of new truth." Your post gave me pause for thought about what that verse really means . And, as you say, God has never changed His view of love. Thanks for your thought-provoking post, and welcome to the board, both of you! Craig

Not for nothin folks, but sometimes a response like that serves to remind us of why we are REALLY here and why we are REALLY doing this. Although we are not looking for the praises of men, it feels good to know that something we said found its intended mark in the heart of someone we intended to reach.

Folks, I am all for humor because I believe there is a place for it sometimes, but please let us not get so caught up in it that it looks like we are making fun of people who we know have been brainwashed into the very darkness we seek to help them get out of. May I leave you with a quote from the late Dr. Walter Martin:

I am not above using sarcasm because Elijah gave me my authority for so doing with the prophets of Baal. And when it is necessary it can be an awesome weapon, but I am firmly convinced that what we are talking about among ourselves in terms of how we view these things must never, ever be communicated to the person we are talking to, lest the person interprets our unbelief as somehow or other casting aspersion upon their sincere belief.

In His Strength And For His Honor

Strenth & Honor

Adonoyehcod

• Farkel
    Farkel

: I am not above using sarcasm because Elijah gave me my authority for so doing with the prophets of Baal.

Yeah? What about happened to those kids that used sarcasm on Elisha? Bear food, that's what.

It's all bullshit.

Farkel

• gravedancer
    gravedancer

Fark,

you are worng....it is bearshit

• adonoyechod
    adonoyechod

Cute Farkel. May I suggest you correct your grammer before posting. "What about happened to those kids" makes no sense, and neither does your statement. One has nothing to do with the other, but hey, if that's what floats your boat...

• Farkel
    Farkel

: . One has nothing to do with the other, but hey, if that's what floats your boat...

Not true. You stated that Elijah gave you the excuse for using sarcasm. It was ok for Elijah to use sarcasm, but not ok for the boys to use sarcasm on Elisha. They were smart-assed boys who were just being smart-assed boys as smart-assed boys have been doing since the dawn of man. God fucked them up for that by having she-bears tear them to shreds. Some God.

Your claim to the right to use sarcasm allegedly came from Elisha's mentor, but God freaking forbid anyone who dared use sarcasm on the the ones who also use it themselves.

I make mistakes in spelling/grammar all the time. Big deal.

You are a self-righteous jerk and even when your writing is perfect, you are still a self-righteous jerk.

By the way, your sarcasm sucks, too.

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 5 August 2002 21:46:59

• minimus
    minimus

regarding humor and sarcasm, i love it when someone on the board gets all worked up over either an obvious troll or someone who's pulling a little chain.

• Farkel
    Farkel

adon,

: . May I suggest you correct your grammer

Sure. Can I correct your spelling, then?

Farkel

• adonoyechod
    adonoyechod

It's taken from the tansliteration spelling.

• adonoyechod
    adonoyechod

Farkel. I was Quating Dr. Walter Martin in the statement concerning sarcasm.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit