Any Mini-Bottle Collectors? (fluff)

by Bendrr 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Finshed unpacking my miniature bottle collection and putting it on some shelves today so thought I'd post.

I started collecting miniature liquor bottles a few years ago. A friend was selling stuff from her deceased grandmother's estate and there was this collection of around a hundred mini bottles. I bought the bottles and got interested in the hobby. Since then, I've bought a few more on eBay. Haven't bought too many. I pick and choose what I want, and I don't base it on the value of the bottle since I don't really know what they're worth. I just buy them for their age and make sure to buy only those that are full and sealed.

Here's a few. And I'll post some pics one day.

Hedges & Butler Vat 250 Blended Scotch Whiskey. Full and sealed, with a wax seal added around the top sometime in the past. Illinois tax stamp dated 1936.

Haig & Haig Scotch. Maryland tax stamp dated 1939. Full and sealed with the old twist-wire top, not a screw-on cap. This is the same style bottle as 'Pinch' scotch, some of you may be familiar with that brand, and this is actually 'Pinch' scotch but just very old from back when it was labeled as "Haig & Haig" instead of "Pinch".

Four Seagrams Crown Royal's full and sealed. The tax stamps are dated 1957, 1962, and 2 1966's.

Quite a few other bottles as well. Two 'Yukon Jack' bottles. Consecutive numbers embossed on the bottles, and consecutive numbers on the Wisconsin tax stamps. Two 'Pride of Baltimore' whiskey bottles, the labels are beautiful. A 'Jack Daniels' with a green label instead of black. Three different Jim Beam bottles, 1 a Jim Beam, the other two 'Beam's Sour Mash'.

And not quite in keeping with the mini-bottle collection but nonetheless very intriguiging is a bottle I picked up a couple of years ago. A turn-of-the-century corked medicine bottle. Original cork in place and (I assume) original contents still in the bottle. No label or embossing. Thick black liquid in the bottle. I've been told it's probably a medicine and likely contains opium or an opiate. No idea what it's worth, or what any of the bottles are worth for that matter. (and no, I'm not going to "sample" it! that's not why I bought it)

Anyone else collect mini-bottles?

Mike.

Haig &

• Been there
    Been there

Bendrr,

I have a few mini bottles of liquor but the only one of any age is my sealed Crown Royal, Canada excise tax (I'm Canadian, living in the States) "1975" a very good year since we are all still here. I too like old bottles, but I have bigger ones. I have a few of the old glass milk bottles of differant sizes, the ones that had the card board pull up seals. I have an old brown glass clorox bottle, an old corked lysol bottle, an old small 7 UP bottle that has their old logo and slogan on it and my favorite one is a clear glass Hudepohl bottle. Hudepohl made beer in Cincinnati. One day I called the company to find out how old it might be since beer bottles are usually brown or green. They told me the bottle was a POP bottle. During prohabition they tooled up to sell pop instead of beer. That was interesting. I have a few other medicine bottles but none have contents in them or labels.

KY Been

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

I have a small but growing collection of mini whiskey and bitters bottles - they're in different colors and shapes like houses and fish. I inherited a few from an aunt and found the rest at flea markets. No corks or original contents though, and I have no idea if they're worth anything.

Silverleaf

• Incense_and_Peppermints
    Incense_and_Peppermints

no, but i collect bottle caps. i have all kinds. here's a cool thing you can do with bottle caps:

buy a cheap teracotta pot from target or wal-mart. spread plumber's putty on the outside, then press the bottle caps into the putty until the whole pot is covered with them. let dry and put a cool plant in it, like bamboo or a cactus. people always ask where you got the cool pot 'cause they want one :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit