Candace Conti Case

by truthseekeriam 48 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    bafh: wait, does this mean that she won, or they won?

Candace won the minute she stepped into court and opened her mouth.

That was a victory to beat all other victories for her.

Legal battles are won by taking small steps, and sometimes a step backwards. The changes that will happen in the court system may take years to see, but like the old saying goes - a journey of a thousand miles is started by taking one step.

The victory for each and every victim begins the moment they find their voices.

Candace won. Big time. The victory is for her and for all other victims like her who can find courage in knowing that the trail has been blazed.

Well done, Candace. You deserve a rest. Years from now, you will be able to look back and know that what you have done bears fruit. Others will benefit from your courageous stand.

Candace, you should get a standing ovation...a really long one.

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

I hope to God she didn't accept a "Gag" order. To me, that would be a "win" for JW WTBTS. I know she got a lot of air time in before this settlement, but a "Gag" order would be a real killer.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Confused though.

In the UK we recently read an exdub won v the WT and payment was set of £275,000.

But that exdub was not fighting to change the policies of the WT, just that they were at fault.

Candace on the other hand IS fighting to get them to change their policy thus why would she accept a settlement, she is not in it for the money but to change the policies...thus the only way she could accept a settlement is if the WT are going to change their policies.

Or am I wrong?

• Watchtower-Free
    Watchtower-Free
    Thanks for update
  • cappytan
    cappytan

Gag order or not, settlement or not, the damage has been done.

I would venture to guess that tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) have left the organization due to the publicity this case has received. My wife is one that woke up after hearing about Candace's case...it was the straw that broke the camel's back for her.

The news stories are out there on the internet already.

The only drawback I can perceive from all of this is that if there in fact is a gag order in place, she can no longer speak out publicly about her experiences and inspire others to do the same.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    But surely her case is about the WT changing their policies? I thought that was what Candace and Irwin Zalkin were fighting for?
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Candace on the other hand IS fighting to get them to change their policy thus why would she accept a settlement, she is not in it for the money but to change the policies...thus the only way she could accept a settlement is if the WT are going to change their policies.
    Or am I wrong?
    Yes, I think you are wrong.
    There are certain policies that cannot be changed. Some can be changed through a court of law, and some cannot be changed. The notion that the JW elders have to announce and/or inform the congregation that a pedophile is in their midst does not have legal clout. It won't happen.

What can happen, though, is that the elders and the WTS can be held responsible for supervising the pedophile and ensuring that they are never alone with children while they are engaged in church activities. That can be enforced.

Besides, Candace can do whatever the fuck she wants to do. Even if she wants to change her mind...it is HER decision and hers alone and nobody should criticize the decisions of Candace and her legal team. Nobody.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    But surely her case is about the WT changing their policies? I thought that was what Candace and Irwin Zalkin were fighting for?

Who's to say that the WT isn't going to change some policies? This settlement was just agreed to. If part of the settlement was a relaxing of the hardline "confessional" confidentiality rules, we wouldn't know yet.

And, WT probably wouldn't publicize it. It would likely be a letter to the elders.

Let's not all jump to conclusions here.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo

Of course Candace can do what she wants and we are all very proud of her, I was just going by the previous statements of her and her lawyer about what their objective was/is.

The fact to me she has settled seems to suggest she has gotten the WT to change some of their draconian child abuse policies like the 2 witness rule etc.

Hopefully, this will benefit thousands more who have suffered abuse and hopefully prevent any abuse. She has been a very brave woman for this fight and has won.

I just hope we can get some details of her settlement.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Whatever the settlement....

Candace Conti is a hero. Her court case was unprecedented.

Candace put a face on JW child sexual abuse , the 2- witness rule and the Watch Tower policies that protect the pedophiles in the JWorg rather than the children.

May she have a happy, successful life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit