Where are the Young Elders?

by James Jack 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It might have something to do with the over all age demographics of male JWS .

The baby boomers are getting older and their parents are in their 70's and 80's.

Ethnic minority congregations may differ from that though.

• millie210
    millie210

All the elders in our Hall (I havent been i a few months) are old.

Over 50

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot
    In the 1970s, when I was in, the youngest elder that I saw was in his late 20s and the others around 40-50. It seems that the situation has reversed. At least they're not as ridiculous as Mormon "elders" who are in their late teens.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

The young ones don't want to reach out. They see the BS, favoritism and abuse among some of the Elders.

This next generation is NOT stupid and see through more than the older ones know.

This cult has done it to themselves. Shot themselves in the foot.

We had a long talk with our kids this week. We never realized how much they saw through all the hypocrisy. Smart kids!

Great work GB...keep it up! Your running out more than you're bringing in!!!!

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

This is all very obviously a complete turnaround from the days of 1990, when young "brothers"were almost climbing over each other to get appointed.

Bill.

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd

Who would want to be appointed today? The hours are terrible. I know of one elder who has to read all of the talk outlines for the upcoming RC, then watch all of the talks before they are given so he knows where the cues are to show videos, setup the stage, cue demos, etc. So he will basically see the RC 3 times. Who has time for that and to provide for their family?

I saw it before I learned TTATT. I still wanted to be an MS and then an elder, but never thought I could handle the extra workload. My elders said to rely on Jehovah. Tried that and ended up with severe anxiety after I put everything on hold to care for an assignment that the elders gave me. Didn't feel Jehovah's assistance and eventually led to me learning TTATT.

• zimunzucz
    zimunzucz
    I was appointed an elder at age 26, and about 2 years later I stepped down. I had seen enough of jehoovers guiding hand. Once burned, always burned. To this day, I am loathe to do volunteer work in my place of worship. I will help out for a one time task, but steadfastly refuse to be nominated for any position that requires responsibility and attendance at monthly meetings.
  • the comet
    the comet
    We have one elder in his late 30's..the rest are 55+ within the last few years though they've been appointing every guy over 25 who gets 10+ "visible" hours in service, regular meeting attendance and comments to be a ms. I think 3 or 4 have been appointed in the last year, it's pretty easy to see which ones are gunning to be an elder now...kinda scary to think of guys I grew up with running the show in 10 years. Yikes!
  • Designer Stubble
    Designer Stubble
    The last KMS I attended, we were informed that the average age of elders in this country was 58 and that do MS was 56. That was eight years ago, so I assume both are over 60 now.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

Welcome to the board Diogenesister ,you may have a point with your comment about males and their attitude to inappropriate sex comments about females .

When your up to it tell us a bit about yourself.and your experiences in J.W land .

smiddy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit