Bethel Meeting at Regional Convention

by MrTheocratic 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• Magnum
    Magnum

Half banana: Another thing; I thought there was to be no “future” to worry about since Armageddon is almost on top of us... why bother with Bethel

Good point. That's the reason I didn't apply to Bethel or Gilead. I went to the Gilead meetings in the early 90's when it was thought that the generation teaching limit was 1994. But then I got to thinking that by the time I got settled in a new land and learned the language to the extent that I would be useful, the end would be here. So I thought it would be better to spend my time at home in the U.S.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Judging by all the shit the WTS is going through at the moment, and the type of people who are loyalists...

...if it survives to the next century, it's gonna look really f**king weird by then.

• steve2
    steve2

I could never understand the evident contradiction in the organization even when I was a spring chicken decades ago:

Plenty of time to plan ahead, learn new languages and go through the "arduous" selection process and Gilead training (booked up to 2 years in advance), but no time to do necessary employment training so you can get a job commensurate with your skills and capabilities because the end is sooooooo very near.

Well, steve, here you are nigh on 40- plus years later, approaching retirement, and the organization spouts the same old sh*t: No time for employment improvement but plenty of time for slaving in the field. And back in my day, even then there were oldies who had put their lives on hold because the end was imminent.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

hoser - "Male bethelites can have their pick of the hot witness chicks."

So that's why I found most of the JW girls I knew growing up to be unattractive (compared to "worldlies")...

...the good-looking ones were all at Bethel.

Seriously, though; growing up, I did find most JW girls to be far less attractive than non-JW girls I knew. it actually made me kinda depressed at the time.

x

jookbeard - "... the attention they get from the same sex..."

LOL!!!

• enigma1863
    enigma1863
    Seriously, though; growing up, I did find most JW girls to be far less attractive than non-JW girls I knew. it actually made me kinda depressed at the time.

I actually had the opposite impression. there were a lot more sisters than brothers. Met a few men that came into "the truth" because of some attractive sister.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    I found a few years ago when the word was put out to the congregation to have a meeting for those that want to reach out. Most of the brothers showed up but when it was all done a few years later only three had really reached ms or elder. So I think the meeting was all for show and those that didn't go would be looked at as weak or something so of course they all went.
  • sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

The truth is that there is only so many slices of the spiritual greatness pie to go around and the ones that have a slice ain't sharing, but they have to at least put on the appearance of offering. Dangle the unattainable carrot.

You probably have more chance of winning lotto than qualifying for bethel.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

enigma1863 - "I actually had the opposite impression. there were a lot more sisters than brothers. Met a few men that came into 'the truth' because of some attractive sister."

Huh; maybe it had something to do with where I lived.

But then, I saw that kind of thing, too (I hated those guys, BTW).

• ssn587
    ssn587
    The last time I actually attended a DC, they were several older teens from our congregation that went to the want to go to bethel meeting. A couple of weeks later some were at our house hacking with my teen aged daughters, so I asked them as a group why they attended, they could speak quickly enough over each other their parents made them. Several actually went to bethel later on and none of them completed even one year there and all three left dub land guess they had their eyes opened for sure.
  • zeb
    zeb
    I came across a book by a former bethelite whom told of his experiences. Then on Amazon I saw another book and another then more. I never realized hm people had been to bethel and were moved to pan the experience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit