What the hell, what's the deal with Summons for Jury Service?

by James Mixon 30 Replies latest jw friends

• stillin
    stillin

It has been many years since I have been asked to serve. Now I've registered to vote and I wonder if that will put me back on the list.

I wouldn't mind but I'm still working and my workers need my direction.

I hope to send a few low-life's to the gallows before I die.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

here it is once a year max, unless they goof and you didn't save proof. there are health exclusions, but that takes a doctor note. I want to see what they do if a dead person doesn't send in a death certificate, (they are expensive). It is a good experience, if you are level headed and fair minded. Claiming to be ADD or such is a pretty sure way to get called on puropose areound here, and claiming prejucide can get you a contempt citing,

If you are called and can go do it. It is one of the obligations and privileges of a free society.

• scruffmcbuff
    scruffmcbuff

Im what they call in the UK "Not of good character"and as such not eligable for jury service!

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Here you are taken from multiple lists. Supposed to be only once a year, but I got 2x once. It is an interesting thing, and I think I am fair minded. As for excuses, it must be a doctor note, or moved. I wonder what they do with dead people that do not send in death certificates

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

oops found a "lost" start and posted it too

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

Im in the UK.and I'm 70. I got the call about 20 years back..I just phoned up..told whatserface I was recovering from a heart attack..true..and was excused. Not been called since.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Holy crap!!!! Hawaii and South Dakota you may be excused if you are over 80... Why not state you may be excused if you are dead.

• the girl next door
    the girl next door

My jury summonses have been getting lost in the mail for 30 years.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Recently i was summoned to jury duty, for the first time in my life! I'm 65, here in Georgia anyone over 70 is exempt if they want to be. It turned out well, as I reported on Monday and then was excused the remainder of the week. Only a few years more and i won't have to worry about it at all.

Anyway, i was talking to my aunt and my mother who live near L.A. in the valley. My mother is 95, my aunt is 89. They both get summoned every year and have to deal with explaining their ill health.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Illinois has one-day or one-trial jury duty. You sit around for one work day to be seated on a jury if needed. If you don't get put into a jury, you are done. If you are put on a jury, you are stuck until that trial is over, no matter the length.

But they can call you once a year for this. I have gone more than 2 years now without a jury summons. They typically send me a summons every 2 to 3 years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit