What the hell, what's the deal with Summons for Jury Service?

by James Mixon 30 Replies latest jw friends

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I posted two years ago with the same subject. Every two years I receive a summons

for jury duty. For the last 20 years my Dr. fill out my excuse and the same reason.

My physician statement, James suffer from panic disorder, Ptsd. The patient will never, never be

well enough to serve.

What the hell is there a shortage of folks who can serve. I would love to serve but collapsing

in the jury box might be a little too much. My wife love serving, it's been 15 years since she served.

Hell I'm damn near 70 years old.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Every two years? Here in NYC they call you every six. That's why I saved the form they sent me the last time to make sure they don't call me before my six years are up.

BTW, I was told that by someone who works with dept that handles Jury Duty, so that's not just hearsay if anyone from NYC doesn't believe the six year rule.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher
    "70 years young!"
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

ShirleyW. I will check what's the deal here in CA, "NYC every six years rule".

Sometimes I wonder if there a JW working in their office, lets get james.LOL

My Dr takes a copy of my excuse(from previous years) and resign it. He thinks it's funny

• minimus
    minimus
    I have never been called. Hmmm
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

minimus: How have you managed to stay under the radar, I will be happy

to send in your name, LOL. Of course it's everyone duty to serve, an obligation,

but there must be some folks out there that would love to serve everyday.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't see a big deal in it. I get it every few years and just have to call the night before if I am "chosen."

I was on a jury once but no big deal. If you are self-employed or work for a small company, you can generally get out of it very easily.

Otherwise, take you laptop and work while you are waiting to be called.

Rub a Dub

• Bill Covert
    Bill Covert
    The one benifit of being a JW felon is you don't have to do jury duty.
  • BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Here in England I have never been called. That is a pity since I have always fancied doing it , ever since I saw Henry Fonda in "Twelve Angry Men" . I guess I see myself as the romantic champion of the wrongly accused !

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Like I said I wouldn't mind serving but I'am unable to serve. The only excuse

for me is from my physician. I'm retired, so that may be the reason.

Maybe they think my condition have improved after 20 years. Ten years

ago I called the office and I told them about my problem, they told me you need a doctor's excuse or you will be fine. I told them my condition will never improve. Doesn't matter you need legitimate excuse.

Section H:request for removal from master jury list.

"If the prospective juror is deceased, or has moved out of Los Angeles County permanently, proof

may be provided and the juror's name will be removed from the master jury list. If he or she is deceased

a family member must return a copy of the death certificate."

I'm not moving and I'm not planning on dying soon, so I guess I must do this every two years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit