Has appointment of MS and Elder been changed?

by Simon Templar 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon Templar
    Simon Templar
    Are there any changes to the new procedure? It seems to me that the CO doesn't ask the candidate questions any longer. They just decide who they will appoint and announce it at the next weekly meeting. Are they still trying to reappoint brothers who stopped serving, or has that idea gone away?
  • Tazemanian-devil
    Tazemanian-devil
    I can attest to this. There were no questions going from MS to Elder. The C.O. and Secretary took me to the back and simply stated the fact that I had been appointed.
  • sir82
    sir82

It is a little different with the recent change with COs directly appointing guys.

In the past, the BOE would submit a recommendation to the CO. The CO would give his approval or disapproval, and then forward the recommendation to Bethel. It would take them 2 or 3 weeks to do a background check against their child molester database. Once cleared, Bethel would send a letter to the BOE stating that the recommendation was approved. Then 2 elders would bring the appointee into the back room, ask (essentially) "are you sure you aren't a child molester?" Then, assuming the answer was acceptable, the announcement of appointment would be made.

Now, it is a bit more streamlined, The BOE submits a list of names to be recommended to the CO a month or so in advance of his visit. The CO forwards that list to Bethel, who check it against their child molester database. They give the all-clear to the CO. Then, during his visit, if the CO is in agreement with the recommendation, the elders ask the "are you sure you aren't a child molester?" question during the CO visit. If the answer is acceptable, the announcement is made at the next meeting after the CO has left.

Regarding re-appointing formerly serving elders & MS, COs will only re-appoint someone who is putting in the usual efforts (lots of hours of field serve-us, commenting at meetings, etc.)

Only the chronically stupid are dumb enough to put forth the effort to try to get re-appointed. Most are smart enough to realize a good thing and do less than re-appointment would require..

Well, let me amend that. Only the chronically stupid, and the pathetically dull, who have no other reason for existence other than the rush they get for being "in charge" of something, are trying to get re-appointed.

• Simon Templar
    Simon Templar

Tazemanian-devil and Sir 82.

Thanks for the information. I trust your input.

I have been watching this and are fairly close with some recent appointees. It appears to me that recently (past year) the CO says nothing, the Elders say nothing and the announcement is merely read the following week, or the CO assigns two brothers to ask the question after he is gone. I think they are jumping at the chance to reappoint former Elders (we have several). They push them all the time. The COs target them and try and get close. Something is going on I think.

• kairos
    kairos

Before I was appointed, about 10 years ago, they just asked me in an awkward fashion if I was engaged in sin?

They we're prepared to appoint me, so why would they doubt me if I said I was "free from the practice of sin".

Of course, just about everyone is...

• Splash
    Splash
    The question asked at my hall is "is there any reason why you cannot be appointed as an xyz?"
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    The questions about child abuse are only asked when its a person being apointed as an MS or reapointed as an elder after some time has passed. Everything sir82said is 100% correct as far the US branch is concered. If you download the new flock book its all in there
  • hoser
    hoser
    You can tell if someone is being recommended to the circuit overseer if they have a part on the school or service meeting or are asked to say a prayer.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    It might be a change were very little is said so that later when an elder is being sued along with the borg they can say no one appointed him it was holy Spirit alone.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    SimonTemplar: I think they are jumping at the chance to reappoint former Elders (we have several). They push them all the time. The COs target them and try and get close. Something is going on I think.

That would make sense. The JWs now have a "clergy". Clergy members generally don't rotate - they have longevity in their positions, By keeping the same elders, they protect their confidentiality privilege and tax free status as a religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit