this weeks bible highlights: Jehovah slaughters his own people to teach David a lesson

by nowwhat? 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    You see, the problem is your not actually reading the words on the page. Your imparting what isnt there. The bible is clear in saying the desert gods anger blazed, not satan or any other being, but the desert god himself blazed and incited david to take the count. Thats not them blaming god because they didnt know better or both god and satan being at fault or whatever hybrid your struggling to create . Just read the words that are there. And the read the word in 1 chronicles that directly contradict them.
  • fastJehu
    fastJehu

That's how the GB explain it:

*** it-2 p. 765 Registration ***
    David’s Calamitous Registration. A registration taken toward the end of King David’s reign is also recorded, one that brought calamity. The account at 2 Samuel 24:1 reads: “And again the anger of Jehovah came to be hot against Israel, when one incited David against them, saying: ‘Go, take a count of Israel and Judah.’” The “one” who did the inciting is not there identified. Was it some human counselor? Was it Satan? Or even God? First Chronicles 21:1 helps to answer the question, saying: “Satan proceeded to stand up against Israel and to incite David to number Israel.” That rendering in the New World Translation agrees with the Hebrew text and with translations into Greek, Syriac, and Latin. It is also consistent with the renderings in other translations.—AT, NE, RS, JB, Mo.
    However, as the footnote at 1 Chronicles 21:1 points out, the Hebrew word sa·tanʹ can also be rendered “a resister.” Byington translates it “a Satan”; Young’s translation reads, “an adversary.” So it is possible that the “one” moving David to decide on the calamitous course was a bad human counselor.
    Interestingly, a footnote at 2 Samuel 24:1 shows that this text could be rendered: “And again the anger of Jehovah came to be hot against Israel, when he incited David against them.” The translation in The Bible in Basic English reads: “Again the wrath of the Lord was burning against Israel, and moving David against them, he said, Go, take the number of Israel and Judah.” Hence, some commentators consider that the “one” or “he” who incited David to take the census was Jehovah. His ‘anger against Israel,’ according to this view, predated the census and was due to their recent rebellions against Jehovah and his appointed king, David, when they followed first ambitious Absalom and then the good-for-nothing Sheba, the son of Bichri, in opposition to David. (2Sa 15:10-12; 20:1, 2) Such a viewpoint could be harmonized with the view that Satan or some bad human counselor incited David if the incitement is viewed as something that Jehovah purposely allowed, as by removing his protection or restraining hand.—Compare 1Ki 22:21-23; 1Sa 16:14; see FOREKNOWLEDGE, FOREORDINATION (Concerning individuals).
    On David’s part, there may have been wrong motive due to pride and trust in the numbers of his army, hence a failing to manifest full reliance on Jehovah. In any case, it is clear that on this occasion David’s chief concern was not that of glorifying God.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Isn't that what good parenting is all about: kill your innocent children to teach the errant one a lesson!

Duh!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Morpheus, great find, this is one of the scriptures mentioned as a contradiction in the Bible and of course the borg changes it to do away with the contradiction. It doesn't matter really because God still kills innocent ones for something David did, he also kills over a 7 day period David's new born baby for another sin David committed. Yep Jehovah is a loving God.
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice

Thanks fast Jehu re

*** it-2 p. 765 Registration ***

This just goes to show that if god is supposed to have had the bible written then he is useless at telling the story. There shouldn't be different opinions - god should have made it obvious. God has failed...or doesn't exist.

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    Those set of scriptures were always a problem to me when I was a JW. I remember feeling confused at the grotesque apologist arguments and feeling like they only made sense if God thought nothing of people and they were just his playthings.
  • nowwhat?
    nowwhat?
    Here's a side note. For someone who got so upset over a census, JEhovahs organization is sure obsessed with numbers today. Lol
  • punkofnice
    punkofnice
    nowwhat?2 minutes agoHere's a side note. For someone who got so upset over a census, JEhovahs organization is sure obsessed with numbers today. Lol

This is true. The WBT$ have always appeared to use David as a good example. In my recollection, David was not a good man.
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

Ok, let me see if I got this right because I want to be a good example and follow the Bible.

David has someone kill Uriah, (sort of like something the mob would do) then he steals his wife Bathsheba. She becomes pregnant and her first son dies, (poor bastard) the second son is named Solomon and he is given the Kingdom, Godly Wisdom, Gold in abundance and 1000 wives and concubines. Bathsheba becomes part of the linage of Jesus Christ. So everyone is blessed

Next example; David counts people and Jehovah kills 70,000 people who had no idea that they were dying because David counted them.

Moral of the story; find some good looking sister, get her pregnant, hire a hit man to kill her husband and you will be blessed.

And whatever you do, “Don’t count anyone”

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

JA - Yes...that's the stuff.

I can see where the Governing body get their hateful, selfish, gluttonous attitude from. Praise Jar Hoover.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit