this weeks bible highlights: Jehovah slaughters his own people to teach David a lesson

by nowwhat? 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

King David is always used as a great example.

He sins, and allows 70,000 to be punished instead of accepting punishment himself.

Nice guy.

Doc

• StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel

I am praying for your lack of faith as we speak. If you guys were making efforts to attend meetings you would know that our loving master (the GB) has provided the answer. The WT says that because of our faith we do not dwell on the things we don't understand. We know Jehovah knows better.

LMAO!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Ho.ly. Shit!!!!!

maybe this deserves its own thread but its dorectly related to the discussion at hand. The revised new world translation makes a HUGE twist to obsecure what happened!!!! Notice the following renderings of 2 sam 24:1:

Byington:

And Jehovah was again angry with Israel, and instigated David against them, prompting him to go and count Israel and Judah. 2

American standard

And again the anger of Jehovah was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them, saying, Go, number Israel and Judah

King james

And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.

Niv

24 Again the anger of the Lord burned against Israel, and he incited David against them, saying, “Go and take a census ofIsrael and Judah.”

The message bible

24 1-2 Once again God’s anger blazed out against Israel. He tested David by telling him, “Go and take a census of Israel and Judah.” So David gave orders to Joab and the army officers under him, “Canvass all the tribes of Israel, from Dan to Beersheba, and get a count of the population. I want to know the number.”

Contemporary english version

24 The Lord was angry at Israel again, and he made David think it would be a good idea to count the people in Israel and Judah.

And on and on it goes! Now notice the revised new world version of that verse:

24 The anger of Jehovah again blazed against Israel when one incited David against them, saying: “Go, take a count of Israel and Judah.”

They completely obscured what happened by changing the verse!!!! Its crazy!!!!! And the reason i was going to quote it to begin with is because at 1 chronicles 21:1 satan is blamed!! But no more in dubbie land. Now it was just satan!!!!! This is bullshit! Im writing a letter of complaint!
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

This account was religiously viewed, and understood, by the writers in hindsight. The writers believing God was responsible for every battle won or lost and all plagues etc.

In their view, what God allowed, he permitted, and what he permitted, he granted license to, and what he granted license to, he set his word toward it.

Meaning that God was the de facto port of call in their journey making him responsible for the slaughter. This is a common understanding throughout the Bible. Nothing new about it.

The Faithful and Discreet Slave has failed to properly teach the domestics how to understand and read the Bible.

• sir82
    sir82

"I am shocked, shocked, that the translators of the RNWT would intentionally change the meaning of a verse by mistranslating it."

"Your quote of 2 Samuel 24:1, sir."

"Oh, thank you very much."

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Hmtm.... Are you serious? Your sugguesting that, although god suposedly inspired the bible he couldnt put the blame where it belonged? He got it wrong in samuel but right in chronicles? Seriously?

Sir82.... Your mocking me arnt you? You shall be named in said letter of complaint.

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Morpheus, what I'm saying is that the writers of that account wrote it believing that, with regard to Israel, God was the originator of everything good or bad. In other words, in their view the buck stopped with God.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    I dont disagree..... Until you read 2 chro 21:1 where they seemed to think the buck stopped with satan
  • freemindfade
    freemindfade

Lets put some perspective on this, on 9/11 almost 3000 lives were snuffed out, and people were mortified at the callous brutality required to instantaneously murder 3000 people.

This is 23 times that amount of people murdered

why?

An administrative mistake by David? God snuffs out 70...effing...thousand lives. for that.

More perspective. Lets say in God's eyes, Lett and boys policies on pedophiles is wrong, so to teach them a lesson god kills every man, woman & child in about 700 hundred congregations.

Tell me the Bible is a good book, please...

And HMTM if you were even remotely correct about that (which the part that people blamed and Imaginary god for everything we agree), but if that is the case, god is real, and this is his holy word and proof of his existence...

Satan 1

God 0

Devil wins this one

• Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Morpheus,

Satan can only act against Israel if God allows it. Thus both accounts put together give the whole story. Satan acts against David, God is given the responsibility for it. This is how they viewed their relationship with God.

In a way, it's not too dissimilar from what some, though not believing in God, nonetheless blame God for earthquakes and disease because if God exists he is allowing these things to occur.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit