this weeks bible highlights: Jehovah slaughters his own people to teach David a lesson

by nowwhat? 49 Replies latest watchtower bible

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?
    From 2 Samuel 24. I am so mad at myself for not making a comment how could anyone explain this away? Then after he slaughters 70,000 he then feels regret?
  • nicolaou
    nicolaou

Nuts isn't it? I remember feeling just like you..

2 Samuel 24 - Don't Mess with God!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    NW - I am so mad at myself for not making a comment

You are better off not commenting. I think anything you said would have been ignored or gone over their heads. Perhaps if an eldub thought it was negative they'd have come over smiling; "Thank you for you comment, nowwhat?. We'd just like to offer an interchange of encouragement in te back room. would you care to step this way?" smile smile

• sir82
    sir82

One of the comments from the audience was on those verses.

The commenter noted how "merciful" Jehovah was, because he stopped the plague when David asked him to....yes, that's right, Jehovah mercifully stopped the very same plague that Jehovah himself commenced.....

Is it any wonder that passive-aggressive, abusive spousal relationships flourish among JWs? They worship a god who thinks that that sort of stuff is "holy"!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    So. How do believers explain this slaughter?
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Nowhat, i had the same though. David cowardly asks for god to kill his own people (by default of not chosimg other punishments), god actually does it(!) killing innocent people guilty of nothing more than being alivie and being an isrealite, but its merciful? Oh yes the bible says that with god there is no injustice. My ass.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Let it be correctly acknowledged that the ancient Hebrews embellished stories about their god into creating its power and relevance, much like the majority of ancient civilizations.

In other words these stories are of fiction and that should be an accepted fact.

Why do religionists uphold and stand by these stories as being fact ?

Because in doing so it develops their own power and control.

If and when a proclamation has been made that the all powerful almighty God in heaven has chosen them as his direct spiritual channel. That self envisioned power source is being utilized and exploited to their own means and purpose.

• Half banana
    Half banana

The theme of God's power in destroying his enemies is so very Bronze Age. It is only non-entities like Jehovah who could have attributed to them the idea that “if you don’t believe in him he will destroy you”. This is the infantile prattle of 5 year olds. For adults to believe it and teach it: it is humiliating for them.

Sir82, the very concept of holiness is a most interesting phenomenon, it's rubbish of course but how it skews the minds and hearts of those susceptible to its false charm! As if in the absence of joy in real life, holiness finds an alternative world where humans can meet and see evidence of the divine and gain some comfort in it. It is false comfort and it is addictive since the idea can be shared with like minded believers who by their parallel enthusiasm give the illusion that the holiness is real. It's what the God Club enjoy! Seeing other believers believe and it is "holiness" which is the ticket to this delusion.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    So. How do believers explain this slaughter?

My wife would probably explain that it's ok to kill innocents because they have a hope of a resurrection. That's how she explained being fine with people dying because of the transplant ban and the (now repealed) ban on all blood products/fractions.

She still hasn't been able to explain how this is different than shooting someone in the face and it being ok because they might be resurrected.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The other grand killing off spoken about in the bible is Noah's flood where Yahweh killed not only the supposed wicked but all the helplessly innocent people at the time.

Is this an activity of a loving and just god ?

But again the evidence has shown that this supposed flood did not occur , that it was once again another story told

to create power and relevance to the god that the ancient Hebrews created.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit