9 dead in ‘hate crime’ shooting at historic African American church in Charleston

by pronomono 21 Replies latest social current

• flipper
    flipper

" I believe in a citizen's right to have firearms. "

I disagree if it's a bat-shit crazy citizen who has been diagnosed as mentally incompetent to possess a firearm. There NEEDS to be some laws put into effect through legislation that people with serious mental instability who have been diagnosed as such by doctors and it's been documented and recorded , i.e. schizophrenia, bi-polar, manic depressive -especially those with a violent past and it's been documented should NOT receive firearms. Period. And have these records accessible to gun dealers through computers in their respective stores.

Of course I realize this won't stop criminals from getting guns through back door methods but it will restrict somewhat how many nutcases purchase firearms through legitimate firearms dealers if there were a " mental stability " check available

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    They caught the guy. Plain and simple he have mental issues.
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    I disagree if it's a bat-shit crazy citizen who has been diagnosed as mentally incompetent to possess a firearm.

Then you and I don't disagree. My opinion is that in each case a citizen should have to demonstrate competency and be licensed accordingly. My view goes beyond yours because mine would have a person demonstrate competency rather than having to be identified as incompetent.

But for now I'm grieving with the family and loved ones who've suffered this horrible hate crime in Charleston.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

According to reports the guy who did this shooting was arrested and jailed on drug related charges in March of this year. THEN in April of this year his father reportedly gave him a .45-caliber sidearm as a birthday gift.

MY OPINION: The dad should be arrested. I'm not sure what the charge should be. If nothing else, utterly and shameless stupid irresponsibility!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    James beat me to it, i was going to report he was caught. I agree with marvin. If, and i say if because its so early, but if hos father gave him the gun he should as an accessory
  • sir82
    sir82
    Looks like they caught the guy, in Shelby, North Carolina.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Looks like they caught the guy - now fry or hang the bastard.
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Actually now that i think about it, the father will be charged if nothing else under federal stawman purchase laws. Its illegal to purchase a firearm for a convicted fellon.
  • Laika
    Laika
    There is something deeply wrong with American society :/
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

I don't think this is as much a race or gun issue as much as it's a mental health issue. Obviously we don't know much at this point, but even a hard line racist will not usually do something this extreme, it usually takes some form of mental health issue.

There is a problem in this country with how we deal with the mentally ill. Too often parents are forced to stand by while their adult children cycle in and out through the mental health system. They hit a low and are hospitalized, where they receive medication and improve, so they are released. Once released they often stop taking medication and start acting out again. At one time people were often hospitalized against their will when they didn't need to be, but we have gone too far in the other direction and a good percentage of the homeless population are mentally ill, which is not good for them or for society.

There are laws that prevent people who are mentally from buying guns, but there are a few loopholes. A former co-worker of mine had a wife who threatened suicide. She was taken to the emergency room, but talked her way out of it. The next day she bought a gun and killed herself and their two children. She was diagnosed as bipolar and should not have been able to buy a gun, especially after threatening suicide.

Unfortunately in this church shooter's case his father bought the gun for him and it's it's hard to legislate against stupidity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit