Does This Mean JWs No Longer Point the Finger at Child Sexual Abuse in Other Religions?

by steve2 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• steve2
    steve2

Those who still attend meetings will be better placed to answer this question. Since the Conti case - but likely some years before it became more widely known in ex-JW circles and beyond - there appear to have been no Watchtower or Awake news snippets on child sex abuse in the churches of Christendom.

Or have there?

Also, do rank and file still talk to householders about the churches of Christendom's cover-ups of such abuse?

If not, this would appear to be at least one of the more lasting "legacies" of the negative publicity about inadequate child protection policies in the organization.

Far too close for comfort.

Anyone know the most recent Watchtower or Awake articles decrying the churches' tolerating or hiding child abuse?

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom
    Well this appeared in the Watchtower May 1, 2012, page 16, in a subsection called, "Is all religion good?"

"Many religious groups include sincere people who want to please God. ... Sadly, though, some people have used religion for evil purposes. ... Today, according to news reports, some religious leaders have ... been involved in child abuse. ... The Bible teaches that there are two types of religion—true religion and false religion. False religion does not teach the truth about God. ... Soon, God will bring a sudden end to religion that deceives and oppresses mankind."
  • Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

Also, Watchtower July 1, 2012, page 5.

"Religion’s involvement in ... the toleration of child abuse has led even prayerful people to say, “I don’t believe in God.”"

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Ultax - God will bring a sudden end to religion that deceives and oppresses mankind.

Then, if the WBT$ really believe in Jar Hoover, they should be quaking in their boots.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    These days, if rank-and-filers are still dumb enough to talk to householders about Christendom's cover-ups of child abuse, they kinda deserve whatever they might get.
  • truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

I would just love for some unknowing JW to show up to my door talking about other religions and child abuse.....seriously I would love it!!

I would start by inviting the in to watch the Nightline and PBS NewsHour I have recorded on my DVR. Then I would share was happened to my family after a ex elder molested our child.

I seriously doubt they woul even try that approach out on service these days.

• steve2
    steve2

Thanks Ultimate Axiom - I was not aware there had been references to "false religion" and sexual abuse as recently (July 2012) - although I suppose that's still almost 3 years ago.

I should predict (?) we won't see anything like that for some time, if ever again at all!

As said,too close for comfort and as truthseekeriam commented, any JW who decries, say, the Catholic Church's cover- ups, is literally asking for the charge of "Hypocrite" to be levelled against both them and their organization.

Going further back than 2012, I recall some rather more outspoken statements in the literature on the evils of cover- ups by "false" religion.

If nothing else has changed, it's interesting to observe an appearance of reluctance to criticize the churches over this particular issue - if you operationalize "reluctance" as nothing appearing in the printed JW media for coming up to 3 years.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

steve2 - "Going further back than 2012, I recall some rather more outspoken statements in the literature on the evils of cover- ups by 'false' religion.

If nothing else has changed, it's interesting to observe an appearance of reluctance to criticize the churches over this particular issue - if you operationalize 'reluctance' as nothing appearing in the printed JW media for coming up to 3 years..."

So that's the real reason the publications are being "simplified"...

x

...there's less and less for the WTS to legitimately point their judgmental little fingers at without looking like a big bag of hypocritical dicks.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Yes, they do point the finger at every other religion concerning child abuse. I had an experience recently with my own family trying to tell me how evil Catholics and other religions are for their cover ups. It got nasty for a bit as I pointed out the evidence of abuse in this religion. Basically, they say it is all lies. They rarely go searching for substantiation of facts. It's far too spooky for them to read about the cases against the society. I was yelled at and had some sort of nasty name flung at my retreating back.

• steve2
    steve2

Wow umbertoecho - that sounds so unpleasant for you! You've got a point: If people who subscribe to a particular belief system willfully refuse to check out the facts, they'll dismiss any criticism of their beliefs as false.

I guess there may be others in the religion who do check things out, are disturbed by what they find and close the door on further scrutiny. It's this group who know all is not right in the organization but don't know where else to go and who cannot in good conscience point the finger about child abuse at other religions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit