Mistaken DF Anouncement!!!

by voltaire 7 Replies latest jw friends

• voltaire
    voltaire

My brother's visiting and natually we got to reminiscing about the congregation back home. We recalled one of the most astonishing things that ever happened in our congregation(that's saying plenty, too!!!). Names have been changed.

An elder is called up to the podium, obviously about to make a judicial announcement. You know how that erie hush falls over the congregation. During the time it takes for the brother conducting the meeting to invite the elder to make his announcement and the time he gets to the podium, your mind is racing. "Who hasn't been attending meetings lately"? "Who's been hanging out with worldly people?" "I hope it's just a reproof, or maybe it's a re-instatement?" "Please don't let it be anyone I'm really close to".

This elder was relatively new to our congregation. He was super responsible and took everything very seriously. As he begins his announcement, "A judicial committee has met and makes the following announcement...". TOTAL SILENCE.....Bob Smith has been disfellowshipped. Brother Smith is about 15. His mothr lets out one of the strangest sounds I've ever heard. It was a little like a shriek, but also almost the kind of exhalation someone might make as they flop down on the couch after mowing the lawn in the sun for 2 hours. Her husband (an elder) imediately turns toward her and puts his arm around her. The brother at the podium pauses and looks a little confused for a moment and then says....I'M sorry, I meant to say BOB JONES. (Also a young person in the congregation).

The Mom is up like a flash and heading toward the back, followed by her husband. The elder making the announcement looked quite sheepish and couldn't seem to find enough ways to say "I'm sorry"!

The brother mistakenly announced as DFed was quite an exemplary young man( which didn't keep him from being reproved a few years later BTW). The brother actually DFed was pretty much a ne'er do well and it made a whole lot more sense to see him DFed. I wish I could tell you the congregation. Everyone should really have the chance to visit it someday. It's kinda like going to the zoo and I actually mean that in a rather affectionate way!

• myself
    myself

When my sister used to visit the congregation I was df'd from she would get a lot of funny reactions when she walked in and our brother would go to greet her. They thought it was me

• noidea
    noidea

Karla.....

Lmao.... those were the days..that's when I would give your X-hubby a hug and kiss on the cheek just to shake things up a bit..ahhhhhh...I do miss that, the looks I would get were a riot. Not to mention they didn't know what to do when I started going around talking to everyone. Maybe I'll go for a visit.

• myself
    myself

Paula

ROFLMAO I forgot about the hugs and kisses on the cheeks with the ex, and he thought it was all for his support. I guess they figured I held no grudges. And walking around talking to everyone that was a riot.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Oh dear!!

Imagine Mom's feelings! She'd be thinking, "It can't be my super spiritual boy. How dare they!!!"

The other elders would be thinking, "Oh, what a stuff-up!"

I guess those who knew Bob Jones would be smiling, eh?

Of course, such a mistake would have minimal effect, except that the announcement is being made in such a controlling organisation as the JWs.

Nice story.

Cheers, Ozzie

• SYN
    SYN

Quite funny...you can just picture the mother of the poor boy, she'd be like WTF???

• ugg
    ugg

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Amazing
    Amazing

If it had been my son they mistakenly announced, I would have crapped a brick. Then I wold have chewed out the goofball Elder after the meeting.

Edited by - Amazing on 26 July 2002 8:30:8

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit