Re: Music at Theocratic Events

by pixel 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oppostate
    oppostate
    • The highest natural adult male signing voice or the person having that voice.

Are they then asking all the JW males to sing at the highest of the ordinary adult male range. Maybe? I'm thinking BeeGees or Pewie Herman, maybe even Tiny Tim... "Tiptoe through the tulips..."

What a bunch of micromanaging fanatics, they're just like the pharisees, and the WT rag is their Talmud. Now I'm thinking of the Fiddler on the Roof... "If I were a rich man, I'd smoke a doobee doobee doobee doo all day long doobee doobee doo if I weren't a working man!" That's not really the way it goes is it? "Tradition, tradition!"

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Pre- session music inspiring the eager audience..

• bemused
    bemused

I love that they found biblical references to back up instructions on the right level to play music at.

Presumably a lot of effort went into producing this letter and no doubt there will then have been review committees and the like. It's not wonder they are having cash flow problems if they are wasting time and resources on such issues.

• respectful_observer
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette
    SnuggleBunny, great picture. It perfectly captures the mood in an un-posed moment!
  • millie210
    millie210
    MrMonroe8 hours agoFor those attending the sessions, it's a very reassuring sight to see suit-wearing bruvvers with furrowed brows and expressions of very serious concentration striding around the auditorium holding dB meters. I didn't mind helping out on the sound desk at conventions at all -- it was a wonderful way to avoid the sheer boredom of sitting in the stands listening to the shite with everyone else. I reckon if the org could find a way to give every bruvva a job to do so they could avoid sitting there, they would.

Thanks Mr M. You just explained the sweaty guys in shirt sleeves pushing a broom around aimlessly during sessions.

I always wondered why they seemed to be enjoying themselves more than the ones seated.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

oppostate: Are they then asking all the JW males to sing at the highest of the ordinary adult male range. Maybe? I'm thinking BeeGees or Pewie Herman, maybe even Tiny Tim... "Tiptoe through the tulips..."

No. You are confusing a vocal range with a characteristic of a particular thing. This is similar to the mistake the writers of the letter made. The letter shows that they don't really know what they are asking.

The Bee Gees were known for their tight- three part harmonies, in particular Barry's falsetto became their signature sound. Tiny Tim was also known for singing in falsetto. I wouldn't know about Pee Wee Herman.

• hoser
    hoser

For talks and general listening it should be at an average of 68db. For singing and such, you should be at a max of 85db. Typically the amps at the cong. level should hit the protect limit at 100db or so.

After one CO visit all the brothers involved with the sound system and microphones were called into the back room and given a good ass reaming. The elder in charge of the meeting was so upset he was turning red in the face.

Apparently the circuit overseers wife couldn't hear some of the comments in their entirety.

• warehouse
    warehouse

Oubliette wrote:

But we knew we had the volume "just right" when we got equal amounts of complaints that the sound was too loud/not loud enough! ... lol

hahaha, so true

BTW, your dB settings seem a little on the high side to me.

You may get above this if a brother gets loud, or below if he talks quietly. The goal is to have these as averages, to allow for modulation. My proximity to Bethel also induces the need for that ridiculous Knorr-era 60's sound of blaring speakerphones, hence the settings

• warehouse
    warehouse

hoser wrote:

Apparently the circuit overseers wife couldn't hear some of the comments in their entirety.

What a bitch. Comments are the most difficult thing to adjust for. You literally need to have your hands on the mixer at all times during commenting to compensate for everyone's speaking style/volume. She should be glad I wasn't there in that meeting; her husband would have beat her face that night.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit