Re: Music at Theocratic Events

by pixel 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OneFingerSalute
    OneFingerSalute
    Wow, nine paragraphs of rules, about not making rules! UFB!!
  • warehouse
    warehouse
    hoser wrote:

I'm a little surprised they didn't indicate the exact decibel level.

For talks and general listening it should be at an average of 68db. For singing and such, you should be at a max of 85db. Typically the amps at the cong. level should hit the protect limit at 100db or so.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    The purpose of these preludes is not to provide background music for
    conversations and association. Instead, they are a means to indicate that the large crowd should
    end their conversations and be seated. Sitting and quietly listening to the music also helps us to
    prepare our mind and heart to absorb the spiritual program to follow.

Please allow me to translate:

"The purpose of these preludes is not to provide background music for conversations and association. Instead, they are a covert means to prepare your subconscious into readily accepting our propaganda and argumentative fallacies that immediately will follow. Sitting and quietly listening to the music will also help in preparing your mind to a very receptive theta frequency mode which is much more receptive to what we will be telling you and you can absorb it without much critical thinking on your part.

• Tenacious
    Tenacious
    The purpose of these preludes is not to provide background music for
    conversations and association. Instead, they are a means to indicate that the large crowd should
    end their conversations and be seated. Sitting and quietly listening to the music also helps us to
    prepare our mind and heart to absorb the spiritual program to follow. The prelude is considered
    part of our worship, similar to the singing of the assigned songs at these events.
    Please allow me to translate:

"The purpose of these preludes is not to provide background music for conversations and association. Instead, they are a covert means to prepare your subconscious into readily accepting our propaganda and argumentative fallacies that immediately will follow. Sitting and quietly listening to the music will also help in preparing your mind to a very receptive theta frequency mode which is much more receptive to what we will be telling you and you can absorb it without much critical thinking on your part.
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

"We should avoid making specific rules. . . . but we just can't help ourselves!"

For a bunch of micro-managing twits, you think they'd be a little more careful with their vocabulary.

Twice they misused the word "tenor" in connection with the musical accompaniment.

1. "Also, give thought to what would have been the tenor and tone of the singing of Jesus and his eleven faithful apostles at the conclusion of the Lord’s Evening"
    2. "It is important to take note of the tenor and tempo of our Kingdom songs."

-

While it is true that in general, non-musical, parlance, the word "tenor" can mean: the drift of something spoken or written, when it is used in a musical context it has a very specific meaning which is completely different. Generally, it means the musical part above the bass (the lowest part in multi-part writing); in reference to vocal music it means:

• The highest natural adult male signing voice or the person having that voice.

-

People shouldn't talk about things they don't understand.

Apparently the Governing Body members do not understand this. So not only are they making rules when they themselves write that they shouldn't, they are making rules about things they don't even understand.

Let's review: It's a cult!

- - - - - - - -

Source: Tenor - Merriam-Webster

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

warehouse: For talks and general listening it should be at an average of 68db. For singing and such, you should be at a max of 85db. Typically the amps at the cong. level should hit the protect limit at 100db or so.

I know you're just being sarcastic, but when I worked sound at the Circuit Assemblies and District Conventions in SoCal we would actually use a dB meter to help calibrate our sound systems.

That was the TECHNICAL/OBJECTIVE means of measuring. But we knew we had the volume "just right" when we got equal amounts of complaints that the sound was too loud/not loud enough! ... lol

BTW, your dB settings seem a little on the high side to me.

• Oubliette
  • millie210
    millie210

Nice gauge Obliette!

Nah on the screaming child - yes on the rainfall. :yum:

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman
    We have one so called young elder, that DEMANDS the crap be played so loud, the sheeple, have to almost scream!
  • MrMonroe
    MrMonroe
    For those attending the sessions, it's a very reassuring sight to see suit-wearing bruvvers with furrowed brows and expressions of very serious concentration striding around the auditorium holding dB meters. I didn't mind helping out on the sound desk at conventions at all -- it was a wonderful way to avoid the sheer boredom of sitting in the stands listening to the shite with everyone else. I reckon if the org could find a way to give every bruvva a job to do so they could avoid sitting there, they would.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit