Are atheists more likely to be morally good than Christians?

by FusionTheism 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

I'm sure Mother Theresa wasn't perfect and did many things that might not be considered good by some, but here is a quote from Wikipedia:

---

In 1952, Mother Teresa opened the first Home for the Dying in space made available by the city of Calcutta (Kolkata). With the help of Indian officials she converted an abandoned Hindu temple into the Kalighat Home for the Dying, a free hospice for the poor. She renamed it Kalighat, the Home of the Pure Heart (Nirmal Hriday).[44] Those brought to the home received medical attention and were afforded the opportunity to die with dignity, according to the rituals of their faith; Muslims were read the Quran, Hindus received water from the Ganges, and Catholics received the Last Rites.[45] "A beautiful death," she said, "is for people who lived like animals to die like angels—loved and wanted."[45]

Mother Teresa soon opened a home for those suffering from Hansen's disease, commonly known as leprosy, and called the hospice Shanti Nagar (City of Peace).[46] The Missionaries of Charity also established several leprosy outreach clinics throughout Calcutta, providing medication, bandages and food.[47]

As the Missionaries of Charity took in increasing numbers of lost children, Mother Teresa felt the need to create a home for them. In 1955 she opened the Nirmala Shishu Bhavan, the Children's Home of the Immaculate Heart, as a haven for orphans and homeless youth.[48]

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

I do believe in the transformative nature of the Holy Spirit, I know it has transformed me. When I was a witness and before this transformation I was susceptible to doing really stupid, selfish, angry stuff. I still had deep compassion for suffering though, and tried to alleviate it when I could. Now that I'm not a witness, I actively try to improve the world, it's awesome to have the freedom to do that. But I also feel i could not make the same mistakes I used to. I feel that the Holy Spirit keeps me from it. I know this is considered hoo-hah by most people here, but I am speaking openly.

I strongly believe there are extremely good atheist people. Give their numbers time to grow and they will be impacting the world more in very positive ways, and I think self reliance is a positive force for improving the environment etc., instead of counting on God to 'fix the mess' someday.

But I also know that I'm a better person than I was before, and I attribute this to the Holy Spirit. I believe most people are good, whether believers or not. A believer is not in essence a better person than a nonbeliever. All I can say is, I needed the Holy Spirit, I received it, and am thankful for it.

• cofty
    cofty
    I do believe in the transformative nature of the Holy Spirit,

What is that?

• cofty
    cofty

FT - She was despicable.

She taught that suffering was a virtue. Her so-called hospices lacked the most basic medical provisions despite millions of dollars being donated to her cause.

Read "The Missionary Position" by Christopher Hitchens.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher
    The human mind is an amazing thing. It creates our reality. No supernatural stuff needed.
  • opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

Christianism begins with a false premise and a wrong accusation:

"He[Jesus] is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world."

(1 John 2:2)

"Who is the liar? It is whoever denies that Jesus is the Christ."

(1 John 2:22)

So, Christianism tells us that whoever denies the role of Jesus as the Christ, that one is a liar. This premise is already immoral.

• millie210
    millie210

Beautiful post Faye.

I appreciate hearing your personal experience and I agree with you about atheism and giving the numbers time to grow.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I feel that losing faith in God ultimately made me a better and more moral person. As a Jehovah's Witness I let the WTBT define what was moral. Since I don't have anyone telling what is right or wrong I have to give it a lot more thought. I am still moral in most of the ways that that is defined in society, I don't lie, cheat or steal, I didn't need religion to tell me that.

I also think more about how my actions affect others, I guess you would call it the nuances of morality. I seek in everything to be kind wherever possible, to seek out the greater good, to give something back to society when I am able. My goodness isn't measured in field service reports, or magazines sold or not celebrating holidays, but it is in my soul, I know when I am being my best self, when my actions match my values, that is what being moral is to me.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Yes, and here's why:

1. Christianity teaches some immoral tenets which christians are duty bound to accept in the name of "trusting in the Lord/Jehovah with all your heart and not leaning on your own understanding". Christian morality is rooted in the concept of unquestioning obedience to authority of scripture. Whatever scripture says has to be accepted as right even if the conscience chafes at it. Christians will often justify following immoral tenets that are counter-intuitive to the conscience by saying something along the lines of man being sinful and/or limited in understanding so we should not put too much stock in our own moral sense, i.e. just because shunning seems cruel doesn't mean its not the right thing to do. God knows better than our fallen, imperfect consciences.

Atheists, however, are free to follow their conscience and don't have to engage in immoral behavior that is counter-intuitive to the conscience. Atheists don't have to jump through hoops to defend the bible's immoral position of condoning slavery.

2. Christianity attracts lots of sycophants. Because christianity holds out the reward of everlasting life if you're good and eternal destruction or torment if you're bad, many christians are not good for goodness sake. They're only good to get a reward and avoid a punishment. By contrast, atheists are good with pure motives. They like doing the right thing. They're not doing the right thing to gain an eternal reward or avert their destruction. Unlike the morally clueless JWs who return lost money to create an opportunity to shamelessly plug their religion, an atheist would return lost money because he genuinely cared about the owner - not because he's thinking of plugging an ideology.or religion.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

Lisarose you took the words right out of my mouth. Same experience for me.

Island man. Well said as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit