Women and the Watchtower

by 67mustang 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 67mustang
    67mustang

Why are women in the Watchtower Society not allowed to give talks, pray in front of men and all the other crap that they keep them from doing? I think this submission thing is out of control.

• Michelleatkin
    Michelleatkin

Because the man is the head of the house, like Christ is the head of the congregation, or something like that. There is a scripture somewehere that goes on about covering youir head, if female, when praying in front of your "head" eg, husband. Can't remember where it is now it is that long since.

I think the Apostle Paul had a slight problem with women, I'm sure he didn't like them, but there you go!! He only ever referred to older men etc as in positions of authority, we women mus be too "emotionally fragile" as I was once told to be able to stand in front of you men to give talks and of course don't forget Eve - she started all the trouble didn't she - so maybe it is a legacy from her.

Not sure all the technical points now, just remembered it annoyed me at the time, especially when listening to the most boring man you could imagine giving an hour long public talk and thinking I could do a lot better!! - Have since done a HND and degree with plenty of public speaking (on my own and head uncovered) and passed with flying colours, so I must have been OK

Interesting to hear other points of view

• SYN
    SYN

NO KIDDING! The degradation of women and wholesale chauvinism in the Society is DISGUSTING. "Head coverings" indeed. Geesh.

• Europe
    Europe

Same as in the islam, to MHO, the dumber you keep them the more you can dominate them!!

And the J.W.'s just deny it is a male-dominated society!! *LOL*

• jack2
    jack2

My wife and I have had some discussions about Paul's view of women, as well as the description of the "capable wife" at Proverbs 31, which she calls a 'job description' and she notes that the husband in that chapter sat at the gate all day while his poor wife did all the work. She has always felt also that Paul was putting women down in general. I find it easy to agree, though when I was an elder, I used to get somewhat defensive. In fact, one time, and I very much regret this - I told he that if she didn't like it, she should join the NOW. Just goes to show how my thinking was affected while I was deep inside the Borg.

• 67mustang
    67mustang

I never had a good feeling about the way the women in the hall were treated. One person that comes to mind at my old hall, treats his wife like a dog, (literally) he's been there for 40 years and that was another reason I left that hypocritical bunch.

• Georgia
    Georgia

1 Cor 11--God is the head of Christ, Christ is the head of man, and man is the head of woman.

This was the divine arrangement, and followed the general order of creation.

Paul was probably reflecting the cultural mores of his time. Women were considered little

more than "chattel" at the time. Women's choices in life were pretty limited. "Nice" women

would be married off and hope for a kind and loving husband. But, if he was stingy, miserly,

demanding, well? Too bad! Women's other choices were starvation or prostitution.

Interestingly, Jesus seems to have enjoyed women and treated them pretty well, overall, except

for that one disrespectful comment to his mother when she complained about the shortage

of wine at the wedding in Cana. Note his relationship with Martha and Mary, and other

female disciples.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit