what my friend said about jw's

by raven101 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• raven101
    raven101

I told a friend just recently that I had been raised a jw. She had a very interesting observation/opinion about the witness families and individuals she has known.

First I should say that she is an intelligent, well-travelled girl, with a very clear-eyed knack for cutting to the chase on a given subject. She has a gift for not letting trivialities cloud an issue, and she was not raised in any religion. She says religions are very interesting to her, and it must be because she has no reference for that kind of indoctrination.

What did she say about the jw family she knew as a child, as well as the individuals she has known in her life?

She said the thing that struck her most about them was how unhappy they were just under the surface.

She didn't have a problem for the most part about the holiday stuff, evidently they had explained the reasons behind it and she figured it satisfactory if thats how they wanted to view it.

But the unhappiness thing really struck her beyond anything else. She felt that under an outwardly happy appearence they were in fact unhappy people.

Interesting

Raven101

• Celia
    Celia

Yes, very interesting observation, and your friend is right. With JWs, it's all a facade.

How can anyone be happy when you have to live by all these stupid rules that change every other year or so... and all these boring meetings...

• The Alchemist
    The Alchemist

I think it is the guilt that was placed on us and the restrictive nature of the whole thing. It is just not healthy thinking.

• minimus
    minimus

Anybody would be unhappy if they ignored all their human and humane feelings.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

The thing that's even more sad is that JWs then feel guilty about feeling unhappy. After all, they are told that JWs are "the happiest people on Earth", and, if they're not happy, they assume it's because they are doing something wrong. So they try to do even more for the "truth" which makes them more exhausted, bored, and unhappy....and so it goes....like a hamster in a wheel.

• Europe
    Europe

I agree too. But wouldnt you be unhappy if you cannot live your own live?Always have to do what other people tell you to do, have to live by these stupid rules, as a kid being dragged to meetings and being dragged along houses instead of playing f.i foootball with your friends? One ex dub told me that for a very long time he thought nobody loved him as he didnt have any friends at school????? Only years later did he realize it was because he was a J.W.!! Isnt that sad?

• Bang
    Bang

A lot has to do with their no being yes and their yes being no on the inside - it fucks you up inside. Jesus said plainly that it comes from evil (darkness, stupidity or however else you want to put it, unknowledgeable etc).

Bang

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit