Elders are Complicit with WT Society in Child Abuse Scandals- Gonzalo Campos Case

by flipper 40 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• flipper
    flipper

Of course, most of us realize this. However sometimes even on this board sometimes threads have stated that the JW elders have been occasionally painted as the " fall guys " who take the rap for the WT Society leaders - which of course is true - to a degree.

However- that being said , many times elders have failed to protect - or even have failed to advocate for child abuse victims when it has been within their power to do so. I was sent the PDF file from court documents awhile back regarding the child abuse victim Gilbert Lopez's trial against Gonzalo Campos the elder who molested him. I felt it important to reveal some of this information so as to give a more complete understanding of what happened in this particular court case.

Notice this quote regarding the elders knowledge of Campos's child abuse activity AFTER Lopez had sought help with those San Diego elders. This is Lopez attorney Zalkin's opening statement - It states, " As Socorro ( victim Lopez's mother ) feared , the elders took no action in 1986. Campos was not restricted or expelled. The congregation was not warned. The body of elders in charge of Campos had the knowledge and power to stop him from hurting children, and they didn't. They were more concerned about avoiding scandal than they were about protecting children . Their conduct was irresponsible and reprehensible. "

It continues, " As a result of the choices made by the people that Watchtower put in charge of the congregation , Campos ravaged at least four more children - that we know of - over the next nine years. This makes a total of nine known victims of Campos. In fact, despite the knowledge they had about the dangers of keeping Campos in their congregations, he was actually elevated up the chain in the organization to a position as elder himself while he was sexually abusing children in a successor congregation. All of this occurred under a code of silence imposed by the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses and strictly enforced by the Watchtower. "

It continues, " As stated by a letter regarding Gonzalo Campos which was signed by three elders on July 24, 1999 and addressed to Watchtower Service Department : " The community does not know of all this and there was no publicity about this. Everything took place in the congregation and because of that he was not prosecuted. " In other words, Watchtower's agents in Linda Vista congregation were extremely successful in suppressing knowledge of Campos' molestation of children ; thereby providing the secrecy needed so Campos could keep adding to his list of victims. "

So in spite of the WT Society's recent claim that they have " clergy penitent privilege " - this does NOT negate the fact that WT Society appointed elders HAVE been negligent in NOT reporting child molesters to police authorities - thereby ENABLING molesters like Gonzalo Campos to CONTINUE molesting multiple children- in this case NINE children total- committing more crimes due to elders not reporting child molestation to police. And this went on for YEARS.

If this was just an isolated case- a person may say, " O.K. someone dropped the ball " - but this story has been repeated hundreds if not thousands of times with Jehovah's Witness children being victimized by elders and the WT Society's desire to keep child abuse " in-house " so as to not reproach " Jehovah's name " - which in reality when translated means - don't reproach " WT Society's name " and it's organizational leaders.

So the story continues. It will keep continuing until WT Society changes it's horrid child abuse reporting policies. Don't count on it. WT leaders main priority is keeping " information control " over JW's and non-JW's so as to not have even more child abuse skeletons falling out of the closet. Because that would affect WT Society's other bottom line- the making of $$$$$ millions into billions $$$$$$$ .

After I've read more of this Campos Case court proceedings I will post more threads soon on it- however this is a start to give you insight regarding some information you might not have read in the media news. As always I look forward to your views and opinions. Feel free to share please. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

the WT Society's desire to keep child abuse " in-house " so as to not reproach " Jehovah's name " - which in reality when translated means - don't reproach " WT Society's name " and it's organizational leaders.

Nice Flipper

Thats it in a nut shell , the outward image of the organization has always taken precedent over selective individual problems and the WTS is willing to pay out big money to do that, with their lawyers by their side.

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Is this yet another case involving Compos or is this the Jose Lopez case?

There truly is a lot to say when it comes to the written communication between the elders and WT society in these cases. It makes it clear that their main concern is how to keep the scandle as quite as possible. No mention of how to help the victims at all :(

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Is this case in the state of California and did they have a law requiring the elders to report the cases?
  • Driving Force
    Driving Force

I talked quite extensively to a brother about the child sex abuse within the organization of JWs and how under the direction of the GB this is all kept quite.

His opinion; if the GB says that these things should be kept quite and the abusers are protected, then they must have a reason, therefore it is OK with him.

Needless to say this is not a person I want to associate with.

• flipper
    flipper

FINKELSTEIN- Exactly. WT Society has always been about image first, morals second or none at all.

TRUTHSEEKERIAM- This is the same child abuse case you are thinking of that cost the WT Society 13.5 million $$$$ for not revealing documents and information about their child abusers within the organization to the San Diego courts, yes. The name of the molested person is Gilbert Lopez, not Jose Lopez in this particular case. This made lots of news during the winter and early 2015. As you state- the priority of the WT Society AND elders is to keep ANY talk or exposing of child abuse within the JW organization totally quiet. They do not want this information getting out. Pretty disgusting what lengths they will go to in order to make sure that happens.

CRAZYGUY- Yes, this case is in California and yes , California IS a mandatory reporting state where pastors, clergy, and elders of any religion ARE required to report child abuse cases to police authorities. So once again WT Society AND the local San Diego elders dropped the ball and were irresponsible in not reporting the child abuse of Gilbert Lopez. And due to that fact Campos his child molester was NOT convicted in time and 9 total children were molested by him . WT Society produces criminal negligence even in their own elder bodies. It's sick. They need to answer for this. And they will pay for it

• flipper
    flipper

DRIVING FORCE- Good point you make. The comment this " brother " made to you about trusting what the WT Society leaders do regarding child abuse- is the same view that a lot of JW's have because they are mind controlled to believe in EVERYTHING the GB tells them. They are TOO trusting of WT leaders who in my opinion could lead JW's to their death someday by instructing JW's to jump off of cliffs- kind of like Jim Jones. Once cult members are THIS controlled where they identify with their captors ( WT Society) it's like the Stockholm Syndrome where they make excuses for criminal conduct and actions of their leaders. I feel that most of the 8 million JW's worldwide do this with their leaders. They have Stockholm Syndrome - and they don't even know it

• jhine
    jhine

I'm confused . On one hand the WT seems to have " clergy penitent privilege " but there is also a law requiring the reporting of child abuse , so does that nullify the " clergy penitent privilege " ? Surely both cannot be enforced .

Jan

• Driving Force
    Driving Force

They have Stockholm Syndrome

That is a very good point you make, and I remember with my own experience I thought of ways and excuses to believe the WT leadership for a long time, but the child abuse was just too much for me. As has already been mentioned in another thread the publicity for such things is just scarce, especially here in Germany, and to be honest I only heard about child abuse within the bOrg at the end of last year.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD
    Hi flipper, I know of two cases of child abuse in my cult life that elders swept under the carpet years ago until I came along and made it known. The Wt. has worked very hard to keep this all under wraps. Like all cults it's all about them and they can care less about everyone else. What they may say is not what they do. I remember a conversation I had with a CO around 2005 about child abuse and he told me it was not that bad in the Wt. org. That there was only a few cases of it worldwide. I said to him I must know all of them when I told him of 7 cases I knew about. He had this scared look come over his face and then he changed the subject. The crack of doubt got bigger for me at this time. When in the org. I never could understand why the Wt. did not take this head on and be honest about it. I now realize it is a CULT and this is what CULTS do. Take care. Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit