The incredibly white NAACP leader

by Simon 81 Replies latest social current

• Simon
    Simon
    could the NAACP keep her in some (unpaid) role?

Depends if she really cared or saw it as a career opportunity somehow to take advantage of positive discrimination? I can't think of any reason someone can't stand up for others rights without needing to impersonate them.

I can't tell what the deal with the parents is but she apparently cut them off. She had a number of adopted black siblings - maybe some issue there (jealousy or impersonation for some reason?)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Depends if she really cared or saw it as a career opportunity somehow to take advantage of positive discrimination? - good question. I must admit I obviously don't know enough about her.

She teaches 'Africana Studies' at some uni. This must be a paid job. Obviously, the uni should sack her.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Hey, if Bruce Jenner can be a woman, then why can't this woman be black.

Apparently she was raised this in a racially diverse/mixed environment and self-identifies as black.

What's the big deal?

• Simon
    Simon

I think she could belong to a community and like to copy styles etc... without deceptively trying to make people believe that she is actually black when she isn't.

There are lots of non-black people who stand up for civil rights - would black-face make them more or less acceptable?!

Isn't it a little insulting to have someone perm their hair and get a tan specifically to 'look black' to other people?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Apparently she was raised this in a racially diverse/mixed environment - not quite correct. Both her parents are white, her father of Czech heritage and her mother of German heritage. They adopted several African-American children so Ms Dolezal has black stepbrothers.

She apparently lied on her uni application form, saying she was of mixed heritage (Africa-American, white, First Nations) when in fact she is primarily of Czech, German, Swedish heritage with a trace of First Nations.

For one of her uni lectures, she apparently included her own hair type (at that time a perm) as an example of a mixed-race person's hair. She has been paid good money to lie to her students.

why can't this woman be black - what kind of corrective surgery would achieve this?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

LUHE: why can't this woman be black - what kind of corrective surgery would achieve this?

Black is a culture, not a genital.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

She is using makeup and hair styling to impersonate an African-American. We used to call that blackface, and it used to be considered an insult to persons of color.

But to me the really odd thing is that the NAACP and the black community seem to be supporting this fraud. Actually, come to think of it, they support frauds like Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Eric Holder, Louis Farrakhan, Sr. and Barack Obama, so why wouldn't they embrace this confused if not crazy white chick?

(By the way, it was her adopted black brother who drew the blackface comparison.)

Also of interest is that Rachel Dolezal hated the movie “The Help” because it involved a “white woman making millions off a Black woman’s story,” as she put it. Rachel was probably envious that another whitey was getting in on her gig.

I'm Nathan Natas, and from now until I decide otherwise, I'm black.

Peace, y'all!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Black is a culture, not a genital

Black is a phenotype associated with certain characteristics, e.g. dark skin and afro hair.

When I was a kid I wanted to be Muhammad Ali jabbing Liston's head off, or John Barnes curling in a free-kick. Like most people, I've grown out of that.

• Simon
    Simon
    When I was a kid I wanted to be Muhammad Ali jabbing Liston's head off, or John Barnes curling in a free-kick. Like most people, I've grown out of that.

Like many kids kicking a tennis ball in the playground, if you scored a goal you gave ourselves an "oh, Pele !" voice-over as you did.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown
    When someone identifies with a black culture and feels "black on the inside" it's called the reverse oreo.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit