Will JW`s Vote In April Election?

by Englishman 5 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I wonder what will happen to any JW`s who choose to vote in the next UK election?

I have been talking to an English JW pensioner who reckons that he has had his senior citizens pension increase by over £1000 per annum -about $1600 - under Tony Blairs Labour government, he says: "No way do I want to see the Tories get back in again, I`m much better off with Labour in power".

He may well be tempted to vote for his choice of government within the next 3 or 4 weeks. Unlike US voting laws, the English government has to call a National election within 5 years of the previous one. This means that the party in power will try to organise the date at a time that suits them. It is not unknown for a government to call an election within only a year, so that they can obtain a 5 year run to push through unpopular policies. It is strongly rumoured that there will be a General election within the next 4 weeks.

The "Pay attention" book says that JW`s who take part in voting are, in fact, disassociating themselves by such a course of action. However, recent Watchtowers have implied that an individuals actions in the polling booth are between him and Jehovah, although the article does stress that this would normally only be applicable to someone who is voting under duress.

This undoubtedly raises the next question: If our JW senior citizen votes in a way that he believes will protect his improved income, will that be a "vote under duress", "between him and Jehovah", or will he, by voting, be, in effect, disassociating himself from the congregation?

I have a strong suspicion that many JW`s - particularly the older members - will vote in the next election. After all, the WTBTS has done nothing to preserve their income, so what a travesty it would be if such persons then became ostracised by the very organisation that was largely responsible for their dependence on the State in the first place!

Englishman.

• Duncan
    Duncan

Hi English, how are you?

Elections, eh? The one that always sticks out in my mind was in June 1970, when the Tories unexpectly got in under Ted Heath. As it happened, it was the month I started pioneering.

A strong rumour went around in the days before the election that, if Ted Heath got to power "the first thing he will do is ban Jehovah's Witnesses!"

In our congrregation, we all believed this totally (no one ever thought to question what possible means he was supposed to employ to bring about this outrageous and undemocratic state of affairs - we were just thrilled to bits that persecution was coming - and so could Armageddon be far behind?).

Well Ted got in, and had his moment of power. But no persecution, no Armageddon. Thirty one years later, he's still an MP (but not much longer, I guess).

This was a serious talking point in the summer of 1970 in my (London Suburb) congregation. Did this rumour ever get as far as WSM?

Duncan.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Hiya Dunc!

Nice to hear from you. No, no rumours re Ted Heath but I do remember the society getting into a flap re JFK in the early 60`s. We had lots of anti-catholocism articles, the Brooklyn bods were convinced that a Catholic president would bring persecution onto JW`s.

Duncan, you have just got to post your H20 parody re the ATM machine and the rotting eyeballs on this site!

Regards,

Englishman.

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

i feel that i have to respond to this topic....Surely by voting you are making a statement that you do not want to belong to the org? For me the first time i voted, it was as if i was saying that i no longer wish to be part of the organisation. By becoming a witness, surely you are accepting everything that it entails, including not being allowed to vote. By excercising your right to vote, in my opinion you are disassociating yourself from that particular belief system.

• Simon
    Simon

Well labour have cost us several £1,000's in extra taxes (IR35 anyone?) so I won't be making my first ever vote for THEM !
    Oops, forgot...should never talk about religion or politics...I guess we break all the rules here...

• Englishman
    Englishman

Didgeridoo,

You said: "By becoming a witness, surely you are accepting everything that it entails, including not being allowed to vote."

My point was, that if one was allowed to enter a polling booth when under duress, and your actions were between you and Jehovah, would it not be perfectly understandable for you to vote for the person who was going to look after your interests? Would you not be under duress if you knew that a certain politician was going to reduce your state pension?

Also, why is voting in a democratic society such a big deal to JW`s? If Members of Parliament / Senators etc are there to act in our best interests, are we not, in fact, actually employing them? Just as you are free to choose the best accountant to manage your business affairs, why can`t people be free to choose the best guy to manage our affairs with the state?

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit